Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchman

Setting up a Baja Special

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am close to pulling the trigger on a Penn Baja Special and wanted see what you guys think on how I should set the reel up. Its going to be put on a 6ft Seeker Hercules Heavy rod. I will be fishing with it for everything from bass to groundfish to light tuna jigging from both private and headboats. I want to set it up so I can troll umbrellas for strippers one day and fish heavy jigs for deepwater cod the next but handle charlie if he intercepts the jig. I want to load it up with braid but I am not sure if I should go with 65lb or 80lb braid. According to Penn's website the reel holds 600yds/65lb braid, which is more braid than I want to put on it. Any rec's on how much braid and what # I should use? I figure to be using 50ft topshots on it.

I filled it up and got around 400 or so yards on it. Like I said I use it for deep drop tilefishing and sometimes that's 600 to 1000' deep :)

I filled it up and got around 400 or so yards on it. Like I said I use it for deep drop tilefishing and sometimes that's 600 to 1000' deep :)

I may go on one of those trips in the next few years....so that's good to hear!

If you want to fill the reel, but don't want to have that much braid on it, than you can just back it all with mono, then tie the braid to the mono, spool however much you want on there, add the topshot. Problem solved. But yeah, I would use 65, no way that stuff is breaking.

Tight lines!!!

Gabe

If you want to fill the reel, but don't want to have that much braid on it, than you can just back it all with mono, then tie the braid to the mono, spool however much you want on there, add the topshot. Problem solved. But yeah, I would use 65, no way that stuff is breaking.

Tight lines!!!

Gabe

depends on what your using it for. For stripers yes I would go that way. For deep drop fishing it is as much braid as I can get on it.

Thats why I said however much you want. Of course, the more braid the merrier in those deep drops. but it can hurt your wallet. :)

yes it's costly :(