Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stripers4me

My Fishing Partner

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

My regular fishing partner for nearly twelve years underwent surgery yesterday morning to remove a cancerous tumor from her left shoulder. Her vet told us the operation was successful and blood work done at the time had results that showed other vital organs functioning like that of a 6 month old puppy. Maddie - “The Wonder Dog” came home late yesterday afternoon. The incision looks good and she is tired but resting peacefully

For the past twelve years Maddie has accompanied me on practically every outing, Whether it was trips along the rocky shores striper fishing , in a canoe fishing a mirrored surfaced pond for warmwater species or out on the ice jigging for perch she was always at my side. It wasn't long after we'd been fishing a few times that I realized she was the ideal fishing partner for several reasons. Maddie was always ready to go fishing and never made excuses on why she couldn't. Not once did she ever tell we were fishing the wrong spot or I was using the wrong fly. Maddie never complained when I made that “one more cast” over and over. In fact ,she never cared how late we came home. What more could someone want in a partner. She also never objects to my taking a couple home for the pan or smoker. Maddie loves Bluefish either grilled or raw! Maddie will eat practically anything!

In recent years she no longer accompanies me when I fish the rocky shores for stripers. Hip an joint problems associated with aging dogs especially labs prohibits climbing and jumping around the rocky shoreline. She does however come and get in my boat or canoe when I try freshwater for trout and warmwater types. She is probably the main reason I've returned to doing more freshwater fishing.

While it would be nice to land a large striper along the rocky shore, it's more enjoyable to land a palm sized bluegill with Maddie at my side.

Dogs Rule

Regards

Ray Bondorew

Author of “Stripers and Streamers”

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3262267/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

Ray

I wish Maddie a speedy recovery. Labs do make the best fishing partners.

I lost my lab last year to cancer and he was only 7 years old. He went with me to trout streams and rode on the back of my pontoon boat when pond fishing. They are always happy to go and never complain.

Good luck and may you have many more years of fishing together.

Stu[ATTACHMENT=4853]Picture 120.jpg (1,521k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Ray,

Best Fishes for you and Maddie.

Glad to hear she is on the mend and going to be back in action soon.

I am currently training my new Buddy ( Gunner) and hope to have him calmed down enough to go fishing with me.

He's 5 months now and non-stop energy.

It was good to see you at the Salty show this weekend and great to see you here.

Your book was my first for salt water fly fishing ( you signed it in "97" in Hartford) and is still my go to book.

Not to mention Ray's fly put my first Striper on the hook.

Thanks again,

T

I too know the comfort that a four legged friend brings and though Betty never goes fishing she does go everywhere else. Both of us wishes Maddie all the best and get well soon.

My regular fishing partner for nearly twelve years underwent surgery yesterday morning to remove a cancerous tumor from her left shoulder. Her vet told us the operation was successful and blood work done at the time had results that showed other vital organs functioning like that of a 6 month old puppy. Maddie - “The Wonder Dog” came home late yesterday afternoon. The incision looks good and she is tired but resting peacefully

For the past twelve years Maddie has accompanied me on practically every outing, Whether it was trips along the rocky shores striper fishing , in a canoe fishing a mirrored surfaced pond for warmwater species or out on the ice jigging for perch she was always at my side. It wasn't long after we'd been fishing a few times that I realized she was the ideal fishing partner for several reasons. Maddie was always ready to go fishing and never made excuses on why she couldn't. Not once did she ever tell we were fishing the wrong spot or I was using the wrong fly. Maddie never complained when I made that “one more cast” over and over. In fact ,she never cared how late we came home. What more could someone want in a partner. She also never objects to my taking a couple home for the pan or smoker. Maddie loves Bluefish either grilled or raw! Maddie will eat practically anything!

In recent years she no longer accompanies me when I fish the rocky shores for stripers. Hip an joint problems associated with aging dogs especially labs prohibits climbing and jumping around the rocky shoreline. She does however come and get in my boat or canoe when I try freshwater for trout and warmwater types. She is probably the main reason I've returned to doing more freshwater fishing.

While it would be nice to land a large striper along the rocky shore, it's more enjoyable to land a palm sized bluegill with Maddie at my side.

Dogs Rule

Regards

Ray Bondorew

Author of “Stripers and Streamers”

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3262267/width/600/height/450' alt='450'>

She looks like a sweetie :th::love:

Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery for your partner :)

Ray, Here's hoping you and Maddie have many more years together! I know the bond all too well between man and yellow labs. Mine just turned 9 and I near lost him due to a rawhide bone a few days after Christmas '11. He ate them all his life but it only takes one I guess to change everything. Even now he is still having good and bad day's through his recovery but I am keeping a very close eye on him and he is coming along slowly but surely.

I like to say a sincere thank you to all who replied to my Fishing Partner post a for their kind words and best wishes for Maddie”The Wonder Dog” speedy recovery.

The surgery was eight days ago and she’s healing nicely. The staples come out next week. She was ready to play ball the day after surgery but we’ve been

trying to have her take it easy and rest—she’s good at taking naps.

Several of the replies caused me to pause and reflect on Maddie and I. They gave me cause to not feel sorry and worry about our declining activity

together and her somewhat questionable future. But rather to look back at all the good times and great memories we had together. Believe me there are many.

To Strippinchicken—Good luck and enjoy your buddy “Gunner.” Calming down yet??

It took a little over eight years before we noticed Maddie calming down a little. Also PM me your e-mail address if you would.

To Jim DE---I know what you mean about Rawhide strips and bones. Last year I attribute Maddie having some internal bleeding

due to them. Needless to say no rawhide for Maddie.

To Snookfly—PM your regular e-mail address if you would.

I can’t PM yet due to not enough post even though I joined on in 2006.

Once Again

Thanks to All

Ray Bondorew