Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leo1234

Flounders?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hey all anyone know when the flounders usually get in? I usally start fishing black fish first in april. And do flounders in may or june.

Thanks

Leo.

I usually don't see 'em show up until around the 2nd week of May.

right on, i can nab them here and there a few weeks before...but second week of May is usually when ill set out for some serious missions

Still a bit early, but with the mild winter you never know. IF I were to go looking for them, I MIGHT hit a certain estuary on the south shore starting (this year, anyway) about Patriot's Day on a bright sunny day with an outgoing tide at either mid to late morning or early afternoon. The particular spot I would fish, contrary to what others would say, would only have about 2-3 feet of water. That spot would be behind a "spit" or point of sand that lies up current of an outgoing tide. The flounder lay in the shallow hole down current of the spit sunning themselves in the shallow (warmer) water, waiting for stuff (food) to wash over the spit. I would chum up the area well with corn, cat food, smashed mussels, and ground up pogies or mackerel. Sea worms would be my bait of choice (squid strips, salted mussels, or clam "lips" being a second choice) , bounced on the bottom with light gear and a pink or yellow painted sinker.

But that is only IF I were to do it........;)

Sounds like we have unlimited retention in 2012 for winter flounder

anybody else read this? Im not sure why they would change, the 12 flounder per person should be plenty, thats 48 fillets per person.

Sounds like we have unlimited retention in 2012 for winter flounder

anybody else read this? Im not sure why they would change, the 12 flounder per person should be plenty, thats 48 fillets per person.

Where are you reading this? Latest update to the regs on the DMF website says 8 fish (NOT 12) 12"+ north of Cape Cod November1 thru August 31, and 2 fish south and east of Cape Cod with a limited season (Basically only May and October, or thereabouts)

And how are you getting 48 fillets out of 12 fish, anyway? We must fillet flounder differently, as from 12 fish, I am looking at 24.

Where are you reading this? Latest update to the regs on the DMF website says 8 fish (NOT 12) 12"+ north of Cape Cod November1 thru August 31, and 2 fish south and east of Cape Cod with a limited season (Basically only May and October, or thereabouts)

meant 8! was thinking 12 inchs

http://www.nero.noaa.gov/nero/regs/infodocs/MultsCharterParty.pdf

i think it is ok to post this as it is a link to a PDF

Okay, that is for the EEZ, and outside of Mass waters. (3+ miles out)

If you are landing your catch, even from the EEZ, at a Massachusetts port, the Mass regs apply.

So I am not sure this is really a change, as we are talking two different sets of regulations here.

Okay, that is for the EEZ, and outside of Mass waters. (3+ miles out)

If you are landing your catch, even from the EEZ, at a Massachusetts port, the Mass regs apply.

So I am not sure this is really a change, as we are talking two different sets of regulations here.

good call, i knew that this seemed a little crazy. Now that i read that more indepth i found the EEZ listing

Still a bit early, but with the mild winter you never know. IF I were to go looking for them, I MIGHT hit a certain estuary on the south shore starting (this year, anyway) about Patriot's Day on a bright sunny day with an outgoing tide at either mid to late morning or early afternoon. The particular spot I would fish, contrary to what others would say, would only have about 2-3 feet of water. That spot would be behind a "spit" or point of sand that lies up current of an outgoing tide. The flounder lay in the shallow hole down current of the spit sunning themselves in the shallow (warmer) water, waiting for stuff (food) to wash over the spit. I would chum up the area well with corn, cat food, smashed mussels, and ground up pogies or mackerel. Sea worms would be my bait of choice (squid strips, salted mussels, or clam "lips" being a second choice) , bounced on the bottom with light gear and a pink or yellow painted sinker.

But that is only IF I were to do it........;)

Steve knows a thing or two. ;)