Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfnfish93

Baitcasting rod recommendation

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I've been really looking forward to honing my largemouth bass fishing techniques this year, and I wanted to pick up a baitcasting setup because they look like a great way to catch fish. I know everyone on the site is very knowledgeable and I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on what to get and where to start looking. The rod I'm looking for should suit the following...

-I've caught my fair share of bass and would consider myself an intermediate fisherman, so I need a rod that would work for me.

-I need a rod and reel combo because I don't have any baitcasting rods.

-I'd like to spend somewhere around $150 (I'd spend a little more for a great deal or a little less if it'll get the job done.)

-Any rod length and action suggestions would be great.

-I'll mostly be fishing jigs, crankbaits, senko's, and topwater lures.

-What type of line is best for all-around bass fishing using the methods listed above?

-Is it a bad idea to get the rod shipped from retailers such as bass pro shops?

-Where can I shop to find a good deal on a quality rod?

-Are there any certain things i should watch out for to tell if it's a good or bad rod/reel?

If you can answer all, any, or even just one of these questions please give me your recommendation for baitcasting combos, I appreciate any advice and good luck to everyone this season :D

Most of the baitcaster combo's I use were not purchased as combo's. I bought rods & reels separate, so have no first hand experience with pre-selected combo's.

Since you appear to be looking for a single, general purpose rod, I think a 7 ft might be your best bet. I use various lengths, prefer longer rods than most folks. 7 ft is long enough for most jigging, yet not too long to effect accurate casting.

I use different rods for all of these. You might do OK with the same rod for jigs & topwater, if your topwater is mostly frogs. You want a rod for both with some backbone but a fast action. These rods are usually a bit stiffer than a rod used for crankbaits.

I use e-glass rods for crankbaits because they have a bit more give to them & I don't have to be concerned about ripping trebles out of a fish when I set the hook. I use the same rods for spinnerbaits too. I rarely throw senko's with a baitcaster because I fish them weightless most of the time, so use a spinning rod.

-What type of line is best for all-around bass fishing using the methods listed above?

Again, different lines, braid for jigs & some topwater, Yozuri Hybrid for cranks & senko's. I like the Yozuri too for light weight jigs, like 1/8 oz.. Braid gives you high strength, almost zero stretch, which makes it very sensitive, so you can feel bites better, and it's got very good abrasion resistance. I like the Hybrid because it has a bit of stretch, but not as much as most mono lines, casts well, and has pretty good abrasion resistance & sensitivity. Some folks will tell you to use a leader with braid, but I don't. I don't fish in water that is very clear & don't feel the bass know what the heck the line is anyway. Opinions will vary on this.

I've bought several rods online & have had one issue. The rod arrived broken because it was not packaged very well & I sent it back. If the seller packs it well, it's usually not a problem. BPS has a program where you can have rods shipped to one of their stores if you have one close enough, and pick it up. The shipping is free I think. I've never bought a rod from BPS via online, since there's a store near me.

Buying online you have to depend on the picture, description & specs about a rod. However, even when you go into a shop & look at a rod, unless you get to cast it, using the reel, line & similar weight to what you might be throwing, you still don't know how it will perform until you get out on the water & use it. Personally, I have yet to buy a rod I couldn't fish with. I have bought rods with the intention of using them for a specific application, then found it worked better for something else. Again, until you cast it, you really don't know either way.

Most of the baitcasters I own are BPS Extremes, and I think that for the price, they're excellent rods. You should also check Tackle Warehouse & American Legacy Fishing Co. I've bought rods from both & have been treated very well by both. When they have sales you can get some very good deals. The BPS Extremes normally sell for about $100, but when they're on sale they're usually about $70. Amercian Legacy has a trade in program, and sometimes you can find some great deals on used rods.

-Are there any certain things i should watch out for to tell if it's a good or bad rod/reel?

I'm a big ABU fan when it comes to reels, IMO they're very good. However, stay away from the BCX series, they're made in Asia & even though I've never used one, most everything I've heard about them has been negative.

I just took a look at what BPS currently has in combo's. The only one I saw that I would consider is an Extreme rod & ABU Revo S reel. I don't own a Revo S, but do have a couple of the Revo STX, a bit more expensive reel. As I said, I really like the rods & am an ABU fan, but there are many other decent reels that are in the $100 or less price range.

Most guys who bass fish these days use low profile reels, as do I. However, I also use several round reels. If you have intentions of using the baitcaster for other fishing, such as catfish or Stripers then a round reel is not a bad idea. They generally will hold more line than a LP reel. Most of my round reels are ABU's, and you can find used ones at decent prices, and I also have a Shimano Calcutta which is an excellent reel. You can sometimes find them used at good prices too.

Hope this helps you! :D

Hey everyone,

I've been really looking forward to honing my largemouth bass fishing techniques this year, and I wanted to pick up a baitcasting setup because they look like a great way to catch fish. I know everyone on the site is very knowledgeable and I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on what to get and where to start looking. The rod I'm looking for should suit the following...

-I've caught my fair share of bass and would consider myself an intermediate fisherman, so I need a rod that would work for me.

-I need a rod and reel combo because I don't have any baitcasting rods.

-I'd like to spend somewhere around $150 (I'd spend a little more for a great deal or a little less if it'll get the job done.)

For a budget like that, citica for a reel(201e). That would leave you with around $60 for a rod. I would look into the Abe Vendetta series for rods then.

A good all around size rod would be from 6'9" to 7'.

To me those would need to different rods. A moderate action rod for topwater and crankbaits. And a fast or extra fast action rod for senkos and jigs. For a moderate action rod I would look at getting the crankbait specific rods in graphite. I use a glass rod for cranks but a graphite rod would be more versatile for you.

For jigs and senkos/texas rigs I would suggest 14lb mono, maybe even heavier. For cranks/topwater I would suggest 12lb mono to cover both. Sometimes it is better to use heavier mono for topwater because it floats better but in general heavier line for cranks isn't good(unless fishing shallow) because you want to get that crank down deep and fast.

No

Dicks/Tackle Warehouse/Ebay/Precision Tackle

Balance is important with a rod and reel. A balanced heavier rod will feel lighter than an unbalanced lighter rod.

If you can answer all, any, or even just one of these questions please give me your recommendation for baitcasting combos, I appreciate any advice and good luck to everyone this season :D

If you never fished baitcasting before, I'd recommend a rod that is on the slower side.

Fast and X-Fast rods require much more precise timing.

I'm bank fishing these past few summers and am really enjoying my Abus (4600 and 5600) and Berkley shock rods with 30lb braid.

I believe a combo like that would come in right about at your limit.

abusNshocks.jpg

4600 and 6'6" medium

5600 and 7' medium heavy

I mention bank fishing because you don't always have the optimum casting arc that you do in a boat.

No problems with my faster rods in the canoe, just easier with the slower Shock rods on the shore.

If you never fished baitcasting before, I'd recommend a rod that is on the slower side.

Fast and X-Fast rods require much more precise timing.

I'm bank fishing these past few summers and am really enjoying my Abus (4600 and 5600) and Berkley shock rods with 30lb braid.

I believe a combo like that would come in right about at your limit.

abusNshocks.jpg

4600 and 6'6" medium

5600 and 7' medium heavy

I mention bank fishing because you don't always have the optimum casting arc that you do in a boat.

No problems with my faster rods in the canoe, just easier with the slower Shock rods on the shore.

I'll be fishing from the bank as well almost all of the time. Those are some nice looking rods, thanks for the tips.

What do you guys thini about the bass pro shops tourney special baitcast combo, theyre selling it for 80 bucks and delivery would cost me about 11. Is this a good for for me? I'd get the 6' 6" or the 7'. Heres a pic:

You can probably look at thier website and check out the nearest location to you.

I don't know if I'd completely rely on an online recommendation for a casting rod or ordering one online. I think trying the rod out yourself is the best. What might be good for someone else might not be good for you. That's why I got the two Cherrywoods from Wal-Mart because I know I can take one back if I don't want it.

Not a fan of buying from stores like Dicks, Sports Authority, etc...

Those poor rods are handled by so many people with now close on how to handle one.

At least in your local B&T the customers are somewhat supervised.