Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
justintrask

Boston is burning....

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

http://www.***********/Boston/metrodesk/2012/03/boston-firefighters-knock-down-two-alarm-blaze-lounge/Rhd7LaxKRak14Lung3baHO/index.html?p1=News_links

By Zachary T. Sampson and Martin Finucane, Globe Correspondent and Globe Staff

Boston firefighters are responding to a smoky, three-alarm transformer fire in a garage adjacent to the Back Bay Hilton. Traffic in the downtown area is snarled as emergency crews respond to the area.

The fire was reported at 6:27 p.m. in the garage on Scotia Street, around the corner from the hotel. The building is separate from the hotel and houses two very large transformers. The fire was burning in a 115,000-volt transformer, the fire department said.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke after responding and a second alarm was ordered, the fire department said. A third alarm was ordered as heavy fire appeared, the department said at about 7 p.m. in official tweets.

The department transmitted pictures of smoke and, later, flames pouring out of the vents in the wall of a building around the corner from the hotel.

At about 7:15 p.m., the department reported that ladder trucks were being pulled away from the fire and that NStar crews were working with firefighters on the blaze.

Emergency radio transmissions indicated that officials were concerned about toxic smoke emanating from the fire and trying to keep people away from it.

Even worse, I heard that TC's Bar had a bad fire only a few hours earlier. Strange coincidence. That was a such a great dive bar. :(

Doesn't look like anyone was injured, but there is a huge power outage right now...back bay, south end, chinatown, etc.

me and another food truck were asked to clear out of back bay because they were evacuating the area from smoke. it was quite a sight,m with all that smoke rising up and into the air around 7 pm. And, the loss of T.C.s is a shame too, for sure.

there was a fire in berklee yesterday, as well as today

And wasn't there a brush fire in the Fens, too? I'm thinking there is an arsonist on the prowl in Boston. Not good, if that's the case. We'll see if the nightly news brings up the subject in the next hour.

Definitely not an arsonist. That area along the muddy lights up a couple time's a year when conditions are right, all it takes is a careless cigarette flip. As for the fire in Back Bay...it was an electrical fire in a transformer room. Trying to light a fire in a room with that sort of voltage is suicide.

This AM I heard from a Boston retired firefighter that a number of folks had to be rescued from elevators in some of the older buildings that did not have generators. He said in some cases the wait was four hours for help to arrive.

This AM I heard from a Boston retired firefighter that a number of folks had to be rescued from elevators in some of the older buildings that did not have generators. He said in some cases the wait was four hours for help to arrive.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh the humanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't forget other parts of the state went 8 or 9 days without power and survived, in winter with 2 feet of snow and impassible roads!!!!!!!

Two feet Bernie? I was lucky to get two inches of powder this whole winter. I went ahead and used the snowblower on it. Poor thing was out in the garage crying and dejected from loneliness. :(

.....Oh, maybe the October storm, but I was outta country and when I got back, everything was peachy again. ;)

Two feet Bernie? I was lucky to get two inches of powder this whole winter. I went ahead and used the snowblower on it. Poor thing was out in the garage crying and dejected from loneliness. :(

.....Oh, maybe the October storm, but I was outta country and when I got back, everything was peachy again. ;)

I was refering to the October storm!!!! Neighbors helping neighbors residents clearing the roads with chainsaws and personal snow plows, groups of people and families cooking and eating together, opening up your home to people less fortunate, yea that storm was terrible especially ater the tornados and micro bursts this area suffered earlier in the year. It was also a wonderful time helping out each other and meeting and getting reacquainted with our neighbors, new and old!!!

8 days without power and 12 days without phones pfffffffffffffffffft it was nothin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely not an arsonist. That area along the muddy lights up a couple time's a year when conditions are right, all it takes is a careless cigarette flip. As for the fire in Back Bay...it was an electrical fire in a transformer room. Trying to light a fire in a room with that sort of voltage is suicide.

From what I've heard is there was a fault of some kind in one of two 115,000 volt transformers that ignited the oil in the transformer causing the fire and the black smoke. Due to the fire there is extensive damage to the other transformer and other equipment and cabling inside the substation. 115kv transformers can be the size of a small house not something you can just get off the shelf not to mention all the cable and splicing work that will need to be done.

I'm still waiting to hear if I can set up shop on Bolyston st today. The sidewalks are apparently still closed as crews do their work.

I'm still waiting to hear if I can set up shop on Bolyston st today. The sidewalks are apparently still closed as crews do their work.

drove through the area this AM, and stayed nearby the northeastern campus last night. area is still a mess. bad mess. i think it's gonna be another day or two until things are straightened out. May be messy if they are still working with the wires once the rain hits tomrrow