Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

Breaking: CBO says Obamacare to cost DOUBLE initial projections

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

Color me surprised. Not.

http://campaign2012. washingtonexaminer .com/blogs/beltway-confidential/cbo-obamacare-cost-176-trillion-over-10-yrs/425831

CBO: Obamacare to cost $1.76 trillion over 10 yrs

byPhilip Klein Senior Editorial Writer

March 13, 2012

4:21 pm

President Obama's national health care law will cost $1.76 trillion over a decade, according to a new projection released today by the Congressional Budget Office, rather than the $940 billion forecast when it was signed into law.

Democrats employed many accounting tricks when they were pushing through the national health care legislation, the most egregious of which was to delay full implementation of the law until 2014, so it would appear cheaper under the CBO's standard ten-year budget window and, at least on paper, meet Obama's pledge that the legislation would cost "around $900 billion over 10 years." When the final CBO score came out before passage, critics noted that the true 10 year cost would be far higher than advertised once projections accounted for full implementation.

Today, the CBO released new projections from 2013 extending through 2022, and the results are as critics expected: the ten-year cost of the law's core provisions to expand health insurance coverage has now ballooned to $1.76 trillion. That's because we now have estimates for Obamacare's first nine years of full implementation, rather than the mere six when it was signed into law. Only next year will we get a true ten-year cost estimate, if the law isn't overturned by the Supreme Court or repealed by then. Given that in 2022, the last year available, the gross cost of the coverage expansions are $265 billion, we're likely looking at about $2 trillion over the first decade, or more than double what Obama advertised.

UPDATE: I've done another post with additional details from the CBO report.

ETA:

Here's a link to the Original Flava:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Remarks-by-the-President-to-a-Joint-Session-of-Congress-on-Health-Care

Honestly would have been happier if the government had grabbed the whole healthcare industry and turned it into a single payer system. This a big mess.

unfortunately, the Constitution doesn't allow the government to do that.

Right?

Honestly would have been happier if the government had grabbed the whole healthcare industry and turned it into a single payer system. This a big mess.

I have to say. For a guy who seems pretty up on things, you really trust the government to run anything efficiently?

We're not talking about waiting on line for stamps here. This is huge and I can't see how anyone could put their healthcare in the hands of beaurocrats, regardless of which party is running DC.

Pure insanity to me.

Does the Constitution permit this whole mess or what we had before Obamacare? What about Social Security? The Patriot Act?

Social Security? No. It doesn't. But most elected officials are ******* and don't want to question its constitutionality.

Before Obamacare? As in any government regulations? No. Constitution doesn't allow the government to get involved.

Patriot Act? No.

If you asked me, I'd have no problem telling you insurance is crap. Period. I've stated before. For some people, add up their doctor bills, then add up the total cost they pay for health insurance. The amount they pay for health insurance is nothing compared to their doctor bills. Who is paying the doctor then? Not them.

Yeh, the whole idea behind it is a bunch of garbage, but that doesn't giver the government the ability to come up with brilliant ideas to "make it better."

Does the Constitution permit this whole mess or what we had before Obamacare? What about Social Security? The Patriot Act?

Since you asked, no, no and no. So do 3 wrongs make a right?

Because that has worked out so well where? You would still end up with a 2 tiered system and the gap in quality of care would be huge. If money were no object, would you ship FedEx or USPS?

I think you guys missed the tone of my post. What we have now is going to be one HUGE mess. Getting half of what Obama wanted is probably going to be worse than what would have been if he had gotten all of it. I wanted healthcare reform and still do, but not this.

I think you guys missed the tone of my post. What we have now is going to be one HUGE mess. Getting half of what Obama wanted is probably going to be worse than what would have been if he had gotten all of it. I wanted healthcare reform and still do, but not this.

call up your insurance company and tell them to eff off.

then go ask your doctors how much things will cost if you pay cash.

you want reform, you'll get it that way.

I don't want the government involved in any apsect of my life. they only exist to protect my right to have them stay the hell out of my life.