Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanalPlugger23

Yellow Perch Question

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I got the March On the Water magazine a couple weeks ago and i was very interested in the march largemouth bass article (great article). Is it legal to live-line perch?  If so, what tackle should I use.  I'm thinking my old fiberglass 8ft live-lining rod for pogies.  conventional or spinning?  Open to advice (and criticismwink.gif).   Thanks.

Taking, Sale and Importation of Bait Fish

1. BAIT FISH and COMMERCIAL BAIT FISH:

(a) "Bait Fish" are defined as only the following species: American eel, banded killifish, bluntnose minnow, creek chubsucker, emerald shiner, fallfish, fathead minnow, golden shiner, mummichog, pumpkinseed, rainbow smelt (subject to restrictions; see below), spottail shiner, white sucker, and yellow perch.

Looks like you''re good to go.

i use an eel trap.If i were you i would try a golden shiner.Yellow perch are very spiny.I caught the second biggest LMB in the state using a golden shiner:).If i didn't drive around for a few hours showing off the beast i would have broken the record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotfishgirl View Post

i use an eel trap.If i were you i would try a golden shiner.Yellow perch are very spiny.I caught the second biggest LMB in the state using a golden shiner:).If i didn't drive around for a few hours showing off the beast i would have broken the record.

How big was it?

u must have been in awe when you got it in. I have caught 2 @ 7lbs, one turned my canoe, and was like pulling in a log, slow and steady.

6lb test. amazing.

Perch definitely work, and SM love em too.... lurk the regional FW forums you may find and check out posts from Wachusett Res. regulars. I'm guessing the bigger girls are head-hunters like our striped friends. :)