Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverandriptide

Bottom Paint Question

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Just thought I would try to get some feed back on "Bottom Paint" I currently trailer my boat. This May I may keep it in the pond for the month. Water temps will range from 50 to 60 by the end. From there I'll pull her out and trailer. Do I need bottong paint if I will be running it every other day. Would hate to have painted just for that month. Feed back greatly appreciated.

IMHO I would not paint. Hate paint.............:mad: If your boat's in the water for just a month, I would think damaging marine organisms may just get a foothold. A good power wash on the trailer should clean 'em up. ;)

Just for what it is worth, Left my boat at buddie's dock for two weeks in canal off of homosassa river here in W Fl, canal and river full of Tianic acid /stain , pulled boat what a mess , White Boat with Brown Hull, the hull cleaner / deck cleaner working, but hard work/slow , went to boat dealer and ask can you put my boat in sling and clean bottom for me, (( Yes I can,)) but go to Grocery store/ Big Lots, Save a Lot store or where ever and get cleaner called ""The Works"" dont get the new gel type ( it is Toliet Bowl cleaner) it is hot ,wear gloves, goggles and lay it on with sponge mop, let sit for approx 10 minutes then Hose it off, as yours on trailer, keep trailer wet, that how i do it when in shop . I bought some bottles of (( the works))have not gotten to this task yet, as mine on trailer on trailer just going to do best i can with the mop underneath , at Big Lots it was $1.00 a bottle.

As I recall ,perhaps here ,some one had mentioned using this product to clean deck and such inside of boat of blood Stains ,,rust.

I am pre occupied with using Free tickets to Pro Golf Tourney (Transitions) at Palm Harbor Fl ,more fun than cleaning boat

Do not paint| The temps you are talking about is no problem. Down south with 85 degree water is toxic bottom disaster. You'll be just fine. I keep my boat in Ct river in essex and it comes ouit with no growth after 5mos in the water. It has 5ytr old bottom paint. JP

Float a plastic bottle like an old bleach bottle in the 'pond' for a month and see wat happens. I would also suggest asking other boaters in the area for their thoughts. Slime is one thing but barnacles are a bear to get off and the gel coat may never look the same.

Agree with the rest - don't paint. To do it right you will need to prep the hull with a anti-blister process. Apply a hard coat, which needs to leach out the copper for a season. Follow up with an ablative top coat.   Anyway - why put in all that work and money for a one month deal. I have to apply an abblative coat every other year and touch ups annually. Spare yourself the effort and associated costs.