Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Stanley Meltzoff art to highlight upcoming SHARK! exhibit in Ft. Lauderdale

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Some news about the art of a wonderful friend and amazing artist who is no longer with us....

FT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Two iconic paintings of sharks doing battle with their undersea foes will be the touchstones of SHARK!, an upcoming exhibition at the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art. Both are by Stanley Meltzoff (1917-2006), widely viewed as the first and still foremost painter of game fish in their natural settings. Neither has been on public display since Meltzoff’s death six years ago.

Fans of fine sporting art will have no trouble recalling Stanley Meltzoff.

Born in Brooklyn in 1917, his career included four years as a Stars and Stripes newspaper correspondent during WWII, postwar teaching at the prestigious Pratt Institute of Art in New York, and many decades as a highly successful commercial artist and illustrator.

As an early and enthusiastic SCUBA diver, Meltzoff secured a commission from Sports Illustrated in 1960 to do a series of game fish paintings unlike anything ever done before. His dramatic and incredibly detailed pictures of striped bass, bluefish, sailfish, and other species proved to be breathtaking and set an impossibly high bar for other artists. Repeatedly honored throughout his career, Meltzoff’s death in 2006 stilled a brush that will never be equaled.

Elsewhere, original art by Stanley Meltzoff can be seen as part of ART OF THE DIVE, a multi-media exhibition curated by David Wagner that will open March 24th at The Wildlife Experience Museum in Denver, Colorado. A one-man Meltzoff show also opens at the American Museum of Illustration in New York on June 7.

SHARK! will open at the Ft. Lauderdale Museum of Art on May 13 and run until

November 4. That show is being curated by noted author and artist Richard Ellis.

I've never been to an art exhibit, but I'm going to try to make it to the NY show on June 7th. Stanley was probably the most interesting person I have ever been blessed to have known. One of the real old school gentlemen, polite and proper, and he made the finest coffee I have ever had. He kept a scale from a 72# striped bass that he speared many decades ago on his kitchen table, it was preserved in a cube of amber. I remember him holding the little cube, talking about his early SCUBA diving around the tip of Sandy Hook, when the stripers were headed into the Bay on their way to the Hudson to spawn...his eyes would get big and he'd describe the incredible noise they would make as they approached. He'd lay on the bottom and just watch them go by - tens of thousands at a time. He loved the striped bass :)

Stanley was an amazing artist and a great guy, I'm so glad I had the chance to get to know him...I look at his art and hear his voice and it brings back the many days we sat in his kitchen, drank his wonderful coffee and talked about everything...

TimS

Wow! How fortunate you are to have known him. Did you ever get an orignal from him? I met a fellow named Fred at an art show in Atlanta who licenses Meltzoff's art for products. Another heck of a nice fellow too. Gave me a poster of bass feeding on crabs in NE.

Melztoff is by far my most favorite for underwater painter for sure. One of my favorites of his is a school of blues helplessly tangled up on jigs fished under the chine of a party boat seen up above.

Thanks for the post, won't miss the NY show either.

He gave me a signed, large print of "Striped Bass at Anchor" - it says "For Tim - in a parallel port, Stanley". I met him when he had a computer problem, thus the play on words :) Neat old guy, he was so interesting that I bought a couple friends over to meet him on various occasions. I'm glad my wife Carole had a chance to meet him and enjoy his coffee once before he passed away. Last time I saw him he was working on a coffee table type book - he had one printed, it was about 1/2 blank. I wonder if he ever finished that book?

TimS

He gave me a signed, large print of "Striped Bass at Anchor" - it says "For Tim - in a parallel port, Stanley". I met him when he had a computer problem, thus the play on words :) Neat old guy, he was so interesting that I bought a couple friends over to meet him on various occasions. I'm glad my wife Carole had a chance to meet him and enjoy his coffee once before he passed away. Last time I saw him he was working on a coffee table type book - he had one printed, it was about 1/2 blank. I wonder if he ever finished that book?

TimS

Yes he did Tim. It's called Stanley Meltzoff Picture Maker.

It's available for $89.00 if you search it.

Yes he did Tim. It's called Stanley Meltzoff Picture Maker.

It's available for $89.00 if you search it.

Awesome, it's gonna be the only coffee table book I've ever purchased :th:

Stanley used to go all in with his painting efforts...lots of folks paint from photos or pictures. Not Stanley, he had a large double door that entered the cavernous basement/room where he painted - he used to hang real, whole sharks or marlin from hooks in the ceiling and pose them :b: He said it was the only way to get every angle and aspect correct for a painting. I never saw a critter hanging from the hooks, but the whole operation was pretty amazing :)

TimS