Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blueman

Seagull Behavior Question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Today I was fishing near a river outlet into a saltwater bay on an outgoing tide and while I was fishing, there were many seagulls (50+) across the other side lined up on the water in a relative single file manner. At first I thought nothing of it, but after watching them, I noticed that they were located directly above a sandbar that was probably 3-4' deep. I also noticed that they were all staring down into the water as if bait were beneath them, yet I didn't noticed any signs of bait or fish splashing. However, what really made me think there was bait beneath them was that the seagulls were constantly diving their heads under the water as if they were trying to catch something. Now I guess my question is that is this them trying to actually catch bait? or are they just trying to clean themselves? Also, would it be too cold for bait such as bunker/herring/etc. to move into a river even when the water temp was around 50? Hopefully I'm not over thinking this because I know birds can be great indicators of bait, however, they could of have been just hanging out in a group as I'm sure you have all seen before. I know its early in the season for bass, but any suggestions what to throw in my case? I tried throwing some bucktails and a couple AH jrs, but no takers. Thanks for the advice!

One seagull to the other: "Hey Gertrude, watch what happens with that fisherman overthere when we start dunking our heads in the water"; Heathcliff says " Betcha we can make him start throwing everything he has in his plug and frustrate the h**l out if him.":D