Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Whether the Keynan thing is realistic or not, what would happen if true?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

I understand if by some long shot, it was proven Obama was indeed born outside this country, he'd be asked to step down (or so I assume)...but what would become of what's already been established under his tenure? Would we still have to live with his BS until someone came and changed it, or would it get wiped off the books - basically null and voided? And would he still be given 'credit' as having been president until whatever time this 'discovery' took place. I assume that since where dealing with millions of affected Americans, the gov't would be reluctant just to pull the rug right out from under them, even if in reality it was the right thing to do...

Even if you don't buy into this Kenyan theory, try to answer it thoughtfully:-)

Having him as president is embarassing enough without hanging out our dirty laundry for the world to see. This guy has earned himself a ticket to the scrapheap of history and this issue is a distraction that just might get him another four years to hammer away at our liberties. Let's just vote him out before he can do any more damage.

I am guessing here, but having said that, here's my guess.

If such a thing were found to be true -- that the president who was elected and installed was discovered to be constitutionally ineligible for the job -- I think it would precipitate what it generally called a "constitutional crisis". This basically means an event occurs for which the correct procedure is not established, known, or adjudicated from past precedent. There have been several of note in past US ... such as how does succession of VP to P work when the president passes in office, South Carolina seceding, etc.

I suspect it would have to be worked out on the fly if, for example, laws he/she signed were still valid... if appointments made were still valid, etc. It is called a crisis because you can expect a butt ton of strife, yelling, threats, maneuvering, politicking, and overall near chaos until the country settles on answers and they are made into law.

My $0.02.

I am guessing here, but having said that, here's my guess.

If such a thing were found to be true -- that the president who was elected and installed was discovered to be constitutionally ineligible for the job -- I think it would precipitate what it generally called a "constitutional crisis". This basically means an event occurs for which the correct procedure is not established, known, or adjudicated from past precedent. There have been several of note in past US ... such as how does succession of VP to P work when the president passes in office, South Carolina seceding, etc.

I suspect it would have to be worked out on the fly if, for example, laws he/she signed were still valid... if appointments made were still valid, etc. It is called a crisis because you can expect a butt ton of strife, yelling, threats, maneuvering, politicking, and overall near chaos until the country settles on answers and they are made into law.

My $0.02.

I like your analysis. My guess in this one-of-a-kind situation is that anything passed by Congress and (apparently) approved legitimately would be allowed to stand, simply because it would cause too much chaos to do otherwise. If you undo one part, you have to undo it all, and no one wants to return to the middle of the financial crisis, with gigantic uncertainty. Would it mean we did not bail out GM after all? That can of worms just would not be opened. The troops are already out of Iraq and into Afghanistan, and that has to go on from now, because it is what it is. However, we would now be re-debating a lot of issues with Biden as president, and I would guess that many of the votes would come out different, but one at a time.

I don't accept the premise as true, but for the purpose of debate it is interesting. I also think that it would depend on whether or not he knew or could have known. Nixon knew what he had done at Watergate. Clinton knew he had lied. While we are doing soap opera thinking, imagine that BO was adopted (was flown in from Kenya as a newborn) and his parents had replaced a baby that was born in Hawai'i dropped into a volcano by mistake (ok, even I can't be as crazy as a soap opera plot). It reminds me of the movie C.S.A.: the Confederate States of America where slavery never ended but the leading candidate for president turns out to be part black. He really doesn't know about the secret passageway to his mother's bedroom. LOL

There is by the way the possibility (theory) that Richard Nixon did not lose to Kennedy in Illinois in 1960, which would have reversed the election results in the closest vote in history before 2000. He says in his memoirs that he elected not to challenge for the good of the country and to avoid a protracted legal fight. Once the results were certified and the electoral vote was done, imagine the crisis (even discounting that Kennedy was linked to anything) if the vote was a fraud? It would have made Florida in 1980 pale by comparison.

And yet, he did what was best for the country. He truly was an enigma of a man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwestexile View Post

There is by the way the possibility (theory) that Richard Nixon did not lose to Kennedy in Illinois in 1960, which would have reversed the election results in the closest vote in history before 2000. He says in his memoirs that he elected not to challenge for the good of the country and to avoid a protracted legal fight. Once the results were certified and the electoral vote was done, imagine the crisis (even discounting that Kennedy was linked to anything) if the vote was a fraud? It would have made Florida in 1980 pale by comparison.

And yet, he did what was best for the country. He truly was an enigma of a man.

Cheating is "best for the country."?  Or do you believe Kennedy was"best for the country"?

Letting the mafia pick our presidents is "best for the country"?

Not much would happen. Even of he was physically born in Kenya, his mother was an American citizen which makes Obama a citizen. Remember, John McCAin was born in Panama.

I think it's amusing that people think the legislation he has signed would be null and void.

that would blow up the country.

Snark-free discussion until the last two posts. Let's try to keep it that way if you two dont mind.

this is the same shtick we went thru with Clinton,

Right wingers unhappy with election results dedicate themselves to trying to over turn them,

and have a Democratically elected President removed.

Don't change the topic... the topic is what would happen in the case of some president not really qualified for office.

Try to let the discussion unfold please.

ok,

if you want to discuss the reality of saying 4 years of signed legislation would become null and void,

I will state my opinion that such a question isn't worth giving SERIOUS debate to,

and move on.

have fun playing little fantasy games of "Wouldn't it be cool if"

and enjoy trying to make the loss in 2008 go away.

Don't change the topic... the topic is what would happen in the case of some president not really qualified for office.

Try to let the discussion unfold please.

Sorry to interrupt your little birther fantasy. Please continue.