Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WoodyCT

Remember the strong, old Mustad trebles in the paper box?

13 posts in this topic

Boy are they strong!

They were THE hook back in the day- Pichney, Musso, Gibbs... everyone used them.

Just picked up some from Silent George's estate.

Grabbed a box of 1/0s, 1/2 a box of 3/0s and almost a full box of monstrous 7/0s!:shock:

Had a box of 5/0 s in my hand, but accidentally put it down thinking it was a different box that I decided not to buy.:(

Thinking the 7/0 are just the ticket for GRS pikies.:D

Woody - if you got the 5/0s from Silent Georges estate sale they were probably left over from the "good old nights" on Block.

Good score.

DZ

Sadly Dennis, I mistook a box of 5/0 double hooks for the 5/0 trebles, and bought the wrong box of hooks.

Went back later but they had sold. :(

Think I can use the 7/0s on big needles?:D

Think I can use the 7/0s on big needles?:D

Woody,

Those 7/0s will work but you may need a pool cue to drive the point’s home ;) We found that 5/0s were as large as we could use and still have successful hook sets. Thickness/gauge of treble wire is a factor that many surf fishermen don’t take into consideration – but should. You need to adjust your tackle based on hook size/thickness. Back on Block we had know-it-alls that thought they could use trebles made of stainless steel to combat the treble straightening problem – they found out quick that their stainless trebles didn’t straighten – the points snapped right off – stainless is very brittle. Hope to see you at River’s End on surf day.

DZ

Woody,

Those 7/0s will work but you may need a pool cue to drive the point’s home ;) We found that 5/0s were as large as we could use and still have successful hook sets. Thickness/gauge of treble wire is a factor that many surf fishermen don’t take into consideration – but should. You need to adjust your tackle based on hook size/thickness. Back on Block we had know-it-alls that thought they could use trebles made of stainless steel to combat the treble straightening problem – they found out quick that their stainless trebles didn’t straighten – the points snapped right off – stainless is very brittle. Hope to see you at River’s End on surf day.

DZ

The old dark grey/blue colored Mustads sharpened very well...i could turn the point into a needle with a file...touching it up with the file every time i threw. I love big hooks...with braid and graphite rod it is a automatic death sentence...

Back in the day mono and honey coloerd Lami noodles were a huge disadvantage when it came to hook penetration I'm sure.

I am thinking braid and graphite will be the ticket to sticking big hooks into big fish! :D

Gonna try these out for sure!

PS - Those huge barbs can be pushed halfway down to aid in hook penetration and still do their job!