Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whatmeworry

Yakked Salem Sound today

4 posts in this topic

It was such a perfect day with unbelievably calm waters so I had to get out there. Figured I would try for some flounder too. It seems early but why not try?

Came up short. I would have been happy with a skate even! I dont know any spots really so I checked a Captain Segull type chart and found some spots that looked like they might work. Nice sandy bottom. I put a chum pot with cat food in too. I tried off the willows bridge first since I know you can catch them from the pier there sometimes. Nothing there so I went off Beverly to a few spots. Some pretty deep, 25-35 feet and some less than 10. Not a nibble. Not even from crabs!

I'll try again in April and content myself with just getting the boat wet and enjoying a few hours on the water for now.

If anybody is heading out for flounder or pollock or anything really just let me know. I would love a partner since I really have no idea what I am doing! Fishing wise that is. I am a good paddler and take all the safety precautions. I probably paddled 3-4 miles today without any issues of fatigue or anything like that.

Let me know!

The water is still very cold -make sure you are dressed for the water and not the air-- -I fish out of salem beverly and points north---you won't find fish for another month or so-- flounder will at show at first dandelion but you won't catch many near willows--you will in Danvers river

Thanks Averagejoe. Thats good info. I was wearing a base layer with dry top and dry pants. Definitely dressed for the cold water. Sweat my butt off but still didnt want to risk not being prepared.

One of my customers was out this weekend and said he caught some flounder off Castle Island in Boston. Might head there Monday if anybody wants to take a shot.