Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony Stetzko

ANYONE INTO BLUE CRABS???

Rate this topic

72 posts in this topic

BEING BORN IN NJ, I BECAME ADDICTED TO BLUE CRABS!!!!

Remember my dad taking the family out in a rented skiff with his little old Merc... had to pour the gas into the top... we were crabbing the Manasquan.

As a kid of about 10-12,I would always try for snappers.... all the hand lines out and everyone netting away ... then back home for the feast!  Unreal great memories!

1974 I move to cape Cod, Orleans... what do I discover???... The largest Blue Crabs I have ever seen!!!! Some so large they had weed growing off their backs!!! Pleasant Bay was hot... Then we had the break... Pleasant Bay was disconnected from Nantucket Sound... the sound had all the early warm water and I guess the crab flow???

I have stuck with it, and still do it... I have found out or should I say learned a lot... Last season was great... When the Herring start to run up the creeks the crabs appear months before anyone tries for them. During the winter if one did some bull raking for quahogs... hard shell clams... you would always get some nice crabs! 

I put a pot out 2 weeks ago and got a few Jona Crabs.. also good eating... but nothing like a huge blue crab!

When do you guys start crabbing????

My favorite way is to put the shades on,   a bucket around my waist and my old trusty scoop  net... LOVE scooping them!

Tony, as a youngster growing up in Hawaii it was very common at the time, to go to where canals emptied out to the ocean and walk like you do and scoop crabs from the bottom. Sadly because so many people caught on to the place and the relative ease of catching them, there are few crabs to be had at least on the Island of Oahu. The outer Islands are much better. Your tale brings back many memories of my youth thanks!

Catching Blue Crabs year round... that's paradise....NC.. Oahu...!!! M 4 yr old.. goes to mthe spice shelf and grabs the Olde Bay at least once a week and says ... PaPa pretty soon BLUE CRABS!!!

The Blue Crab is certainly a very unique Crab!

Tothelimit.. I hate when I go to some of my spots and see others there.... Most people don't have a clue!

I haven't crabbed since I moved off Long Island 20 years ago but I loved going and I had a spot in Moriches bay that I could load up a 5 gallon pail with some of the biggest crabs around.

Love crabbing! Just mentioned it the other day to a friend that we'll probably have a very early start to the season. I don't go til summer anyway, though. Too busy fishing in spring. Crabbing is one of the few times a year I can get my wife on the boat since you don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to put together a good catch. The best is late summer on a calm day when you can just drive around and scoop up swimmers on the surface. It doesn't get easier than that unless you soak big traps. But what's the fun in that.

My favorite way to crab is wading through the inland bays, and poking around in the sea lettuce for hiding soft crabs. I'm also fond of crabbing the brackish impoundments along the Delaware Bay. Lines and necks, commercial pots, throw pots and rings, it's all good except sometimes the crabs are so dirty I have to scrub some of them with a wire brush. I've even seen leeches attached to some, but they scrub off too!

as far back as i can remember summer vacations where spent at my grandparents in toms river,before the sun would come up my grandfather would wake me up to go crabbing in island heights,after the buckets were full we steamed or baked them n all talking stopped just the sound of cracking shells were heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

You can get them year round down here.

Damn I miss blue crabbing. My mother used to take me to this boat ramp where her father took her to catch them with spoiled chicken on a line and net them. Usually they come in with the incoming tide floating on the top of the water and other down at the bottom looking for food. We went there this past summer and nothing but small 5 inchers. Gee, I only thought they come out in the summer and fall, but year round never knew. Maybe I'm in the wrong places looking for em? 

Do you catch them in the winter as well in N.C.?  I mean does it snow in N.C. or its somewhat warm for blue crabs to live in the water without burying themselves or whatever?

When I was in high school, back in the 60's, early morning Navesink River, smooth as glass, my father driving the rental skiff, my brother and I up front on each side, scooping the crabs off the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKSurf View Post

When I was in high school, back in the 60's, early morning Navesink River, smooth as glass, my father driving the rental skiff, my brother and I up front on each side, scooping the crabs off the top.

Im not too old, haha. 21 years old here, but in the 90's...those were the good ol days for me