Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golden

Forgetting my fishing license, the Green badge, and playing the part of a human net...

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

So, interesting day yesterday. Decided to take a long ride west to Comet Pond, try for some trout and salmon, which swim in a bit more hearty numbers in this sweet, little body of water. After many miles through the woods, inching closer to the public lot, I realize to my buddy that I forgot my fishing license (of course, he doesn't have his yet for the new year). Jokingly, I say "you watch, there'll be a Green cop in the lot".

Yup, right on the money. Now, i don't no about you guys, but it is a rare day when I actually see these guys when I don't want to. Anyways, we get out, walk up to the edge and survey our options. Deciding to wait it out and maybe take a few casts after he does his rounds. Well, it turns out this guy is real cool, real outdoorsman, so we end up shooting the breeze for a bit. Meanwhile, a guy shows up with his two kids, maybe 7 and 10, and set down just to the left where I was eyeballing when we pulled in the lot. A few minutes later, we parted ways the EPO, so he could check a couple of guys before leaving for the day, and that was right about the time I looked up over to the normal looking, weekend angler with his two boys.

I could see right away that he was hooked up, looked pretty decent, as we walked towards him. "You gotta' nice"? "Yeah, man....realll big", was his shaky response. And then, a second later, "You got a net?" No. And the same answer came from the couple of guys down the shore as well. So, I go into support mode, telling him to take it easy, don't force him, etc... We all have heard. "Don't worry buddy...tire it out... I'll land it for you when you get it in close"

"Hands cramping", he's calling out, as the fish gets close then goes on repeated runs, right off the rocky, choppy shoreline. Huge ice flows, an antique spinning reel, old line, maybe 8# test, and the drag does not stop singing once. He actually tightened it up a bit, but we said hold off, don't mess with it..."we" being myself, my buddy John, the two kids, and the EPO, all of us hoping that he gets that fish to the shore, with sharp edges just offshore, the ice flow the size of a football field. And then there it was... close enough for me to hobble down the rocks to the edge. Did I say my foot is in cast, a result of a chip-fractured, and badly sprained ankle? No big deal. The other guys didn't or couldn't want to chance it; but there was no way to land this fish.

The silver sides of the salmon flashed in the afternoon sun, as it made a couple of last ditch efforts, each one seemingly getting it closer to freedom as both the line and the hole in its jaw were stretched to the edge. Kneeling on the ragged shore, line barely touching my fingers, I quickly slid a couple under the gill before falling back to shore.

The guy had won the lottery.... his kid's faces plastered with enormous grins, with shouts of "wait until Mom sees this", "Dad, you gotta" hang this one". High fives all around, the EPO, the angler, the kids, and the clowns who forgot their paperwork. I've never been happier to have forgotten my license...

Awesome story...

Years later, his kids will look at that fish or pictures and say..." Hey Dad, who WAS that guy with the weird boot? Was that uncle so and so?" :thumbup:

Thanks. Yeah, it was one of those days when not catching anything myself just didn't matter. So, he was using what looked like a 1/4oz Kastmaster in perch with spots, not certain on the weight but i guess it's like an inch long? I throw the same size for trout, in rainbow or gold.

Great story. :th:

I grew up fishing Comet, and don't get up there to fish it often enough these days. Thanks for sharing.

Thought you and your brother Joe grew up in Wosta????????????????????????????