Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FK

Spey Rods -- Casting in the Wind

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

It was very windy today, decided to test cast some new rods recently acquired in trades.

I normally do little over head casting and wanted to experiment in heavy winds.

Rods were newer Spey designs as follows:

Echo2 12'6" 9wt

Scott LS2 12'6" 9wt

TFO Pandion 12'9" 9wt

All were test cast with old orignial 27ft Rio Skagit 550gr with 8ft of T-8 tip.

Cast very nicely in the wind with good turnover and tight loops.

The rods did not feel fully loaded and changed to a Rio Skagit Flight 650gr 27ft long with 8ft of T-8.

Wow, blistering line speed with very tight loops from all of the 9wt Spey rods.

Anyone who states these rods will not cast in windy conditions, well,,,, just has not learned to cast very efficiently.

We had four people in our group and all had no problem with the wind and long high speed casts.

I f you begin the forward cast with agressive strong speed, the cast is not very efficient.

Constant acceleration to a quick short speed-up-and-Stop is very efficient and will give great line speed.

The key is constantly increasing acceleration, not raw power instantly applied.

Note: Maximum distance = Pick up the head and shoot about 10ft-15ft into the back cast,,,, one forward cast and fantastic performance.

Regards,

FK

Just goes to show I'm not really a nutter.

Off a rock at Cape Cuvier, TFO 11'6" Deer Creek, 9# GDE 500/700gns, used a 45' 750gn SA S7 head, wind

blistering 20/30 knot westerly, on left shoulder, casting due north, 3 , one backcast shots to 70 plus feet,

dead straight, no fuss, and went like a bullet.

Interesting stuff really.

MaxG.

Fk,

Sounds good - will have to try second line and tip on my 9wt. hate heads though. Can they be welded to running line.

may I ask velocity of wind and angle you were to the wind??

Herb

Herb,

I do not know the wind velocity, we were on an inland river not the ocean shore with good weather reports. The thermals were great for line/rod testing, straight downstream wind and would have raised white caps on open water. We cast across the wind at 90 degrees and straight upstream.

The heads can be welded if desired however, the PVC (Rio and S.A.) cannot be welded to the PU (Airflo) due to differences in melting temperatures.

We use the heat gun manuf. by Chicago Power Tools,,,, low setting,,, 2" away from the fly line.

The Rio running lines are mono core with PVC coating, they do not weld very well due to the mono core whick quickly weakens if temp is too high.

I suggest using S.A. running line or cut off old fly line running line with braided nylon core.

Some FF use the braided mono with nail knots however that is worse than loop to loop going through the guides.

The ******** site has a recent thread on line welding that has extensive postings from experienced FF who love to experiment with that technique. It is on the Technique section titled Welded Loop Creation - Update.

I am really impressed with the Rio Skagit Flight lines and how they over head cast in windy conditions.

This week hopefully I can get another windy day to test the new S.A. Skagit Intermediate lines with Inter. tips.

Regards,

FK

FK,the braided mono connection is only as good as the work done installing it.Sloppy work=crappy results.Properly done it barely even clicks in the guides and is waaayy better'n loops any day.

slip n slide,

I agree 100%, do you have any online references for others to check out?

My favorite source for lines and loops is a small format book by Al Buhr "How to Design Fly Lines" it is 50 pages with very detailed information and drawings of various loops and connections, including braided mono, welded connections with a hot air gun and Locktite 414 adhesive connections. It is available at most of the Western fly shops specializing in Spey equipment. Try Red Shed in Idaho on the Clearwater River.

Most FF do not have the patience to learn the details of line splicing and loop connections, I believe it is a important skill for those serious in this activity.

Years ago I attended a two day seminar at Bill Hunter's in NH for blind splicing Micron backing techniques. We used Cortland micron and did many different splices and loops,,,, blind spliced the backing directly to the fly line core,,,,, did several blind splices for connecting fly lines to make up custom heads. At that time the best connections were made up then coated with AquaSeal. The heat gun with shrink tubing was not developed at that time.

On import trick for blind splicing hollow core lines is to fray up the end, trim away 50% of the material.

For splicing needles we used thin piano wire. Go to any music store and ask for guitar string wire, 0.009" is very common. Heat up the area to be bent, this will help soften a little and make a 180 degree bend.

Regards,

FK

FK says,"slip 'n slide, I agree 100%, do you have any online references for others to check out?"

Not sure I understand what you're getting at, sounds rather gratuitous.

JC

About 30knots and 90 degrees. The wind was from the west, I was facing north on a rock, and cast directly north.

Wind on my left shoulder. thee casts same result each time. The wind was strong enough to stop fishing in that area.

I didn't see anyone actually fishing and most rocks were just not habitable.

I was very surprised at the result but that's TFO for you.

MaxG.

To me the QUESTION still is the effect of wind resistance the rod creates because when wind speed increase the casting distance suffers more with long rod than using short rod.

I should use SI units but go easy and just multiply rod length with line weight 12,5ft x714gr = 8925. So for the same "inertial line casting moment":

8926 : 16ft = 557gr

15ft => 595gr

11ft => 811gr

So if would be interesting to test those as well.

There is also the Moment of Inertia for every rod which is possible to measure and calculate very accurately and it would increase usable line weight for shorter rod and decrease long rod line weight Perhaps MOI is what makes caster naturally adjusts changing the grip length?

Esa

All this talk about TH rods made me tired - went down to the beach this afternoon with a very sweet 8'6" designed for a RIO OB #11. Forgot how nice it was to cast with one hand. Still nice to feel tug as line comes-up short on reel.

Herb

By the way, I do a spliced loop, in GsP which is 100%. Uses Braided mono as a carrier.

If anyone wants a pic, just Email me. Max.garth@gmail.com.

But you will need Loctite 406 CA, (super glue). Its a wicking glue, very thin and runny. Its

needed to saturate the GsP yarns, fibres, in the line and lock them to the braided mono.

MaxG.

FK,no,I don't have any online resources.Been doing mono splices for nigh on 30 yrs now...long before any "online resources",lol!

A close trim of any frayed mono is crucial and it is best to use fingernail clippers instead of scissors to get the closest cut.

I don't aquaseal the whole splice,just the knots.The braid keeps itself tight if set properly at first.