Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pleco

A rough ride back to port

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Scary as hell. The voice is UK-English, but the boats look like they're set up for salmon trolling; is this the Columbia River inlet? They get in with everyone still on board?

I would guess out at Cordell Banks on a windy day. The Sandbar off of the Columbia River gets ruff like this but these are large swells and as you can see the open Ocean! Welcome to the world of commercial fishing ;)

I can't believe how close they are to each other - bad enough they gotta fight the curlers and screaming current, no need to have to worry about a collision with another vessel :b:

I don't give a **** if those couple of deck boxes are full of gold, nothing in the ocean in the quantity those two boxes can hold could ever make me want to take that ride every time the wind blew the wrong way!

Have done Oregon Inlet in stuff that looked like this (and others) but, you pick your times and tides.

Plus...the boats had plenty of ass. These poor schmucks are barely maintaining headway...(I couple of times when they start to get sideways I almost tried to warn them) :shock:

What the Hell? Isn't there a better tide phase to try that run? If not, they're seriously underpowered to be fishing out of that inlet....

Have done Oregon Inlet in stuff that looked like this (and others) but, you pick your times and tides.

Plus...the boats had plenty of ass. These poor schmucks are barely maintaining headway...(I couple of times when they start to get sideways I almost tried to warn them) :shock:

Done Hatteras more times than I care to remember when I had no business trying. The last few times I went there the main channel ran the beach from NE to SW and the damn sea was almost always onshore across the bars. Even in the days when the main channel snaked straight out through the bars that inlet sucked on a nice day! Makes ya think real hard when the guys that do it every day stay outside and watch us out of towners take the risk. Watching the outrigger kiss the water isn't something fun to experience!