Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwalter7

pipe hangers

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I noticed the other day that my baseboard hot water pipes are just hanging by the pipe itself. The plastic pipe hangers have cracked and broken I assume from the heat of the pipe. I was thinking of using U shaped metal types by screwing them into the rafters instead but they are made of steel. Any issue using steel against copper tubing? I'm thinking 2 things. Dissimilar metals and metal to metal wear from friction due to expansion and contraction. Not sure if I'd live long enough to see a failure.

Use the steel but put something non-conductive between the pipe and hanger, a piece of rubber or innertube. Galvanic corrosion from stray electrical charges and cold water pipe grounds will take their toll eventually.

Sounds like they are breaking under the pressure from lengthwise expansion. Try getting some reznor hooks. I like to loop them around the tubing, then nail em in. Get them copper coated for your application as mentioned by the other guys.

Some of those plastic suspension hangers just break. Could have been from expansion and contraction. I normally don't use plastic suspension on copper heat for the reason you just experienced. Personal choice. If you are tight against the joists you can use a simple copper clip from underneath. If there is a gap between joist and copper you can use a piece of wood fastened to the underside of the joist. A quick and easy method that I use is a "natick" style hanger. Naticks can be bought in varied size and length starting at less then a buck for 1/2". I suggest using 2 screws per hanger.