Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Astropath12

Sage One vs Hardy Sintrix

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Out all the rods I own I have only cast 4 of them before buying them. Those also happen to be the only rods I paid full price for. I know what I like and if I find a deal I can't beat, I go for it. I cast a Sage One and loved it. I ended up buying a TCX instead without ever casting it. So far I'm happy with the TCX and at nearly $400 less than the One, my wallet is happy too.

While I'm a T&T and Winston guy (vs Sage), I agree with what you are saying here. In a perfect world we would all get to try every model available in the size we're looking at before jumping into a purchase, but many times that's just not realistic. I've ordered plenty of rods based on other similar rods that I've owned or simply the research I've done concerning flex, components, etc...and come to think of it, I've very rarely been disappointed with a purchase that way.

I own a sage xi3 in a 9 wt and a hardy proaxis in a 10wt....  I like the hardy much much more.  If you get the hardy the wulff bermuda taper matches it perfectly.

I own a sage xi3 in a 9 wt and a hardy proaxis in a 10wt....  I like the hardy much much more.  If you get the hardy the wulff bermuda taper matches it perfectly.

I think every Proaxis I've cast is great but I find that for me the Rio tarpon taper lines match up best for my casting style...

I'm good. Eyeballs repaired. Arthritis is a nuisance but a manageable one. Looking forward to retirement soon, won't really be fishing enough to matter until i do.

Brian

You been saying this for at least a year. I know you have this one case that you want to resolve and I admire you for staying with it. But I hope you can be set free very soon.

Mike

Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll ask my question here - what is the difference between the Hardy Proaxix and Proaxis X? I found some of the former marked down, I'm guessing due to the introduction of the 'X' version and maybe be interested in one

same rod except different reel seat and a slightly different blank color.

Exactly right. Hardy's "marketing" found that some anglers were "turned off" by the futuristic look of the original seat and went back to a more conventional style seat. Personally I liked the way the old ones looked, a bit like the seats on the Loomis Crosscurrent rods IMO. All of my Sintrix rods are the older style seats and I like it that way fine.

This is pretty impressive (although I don't like to create a big arch/bend when hooked up to a good sized fish):

I was winching looking at that waiting for the blank to implode. It was very impressive.

Mike

I have a Proaxis 8wt. They are definitely pretty tough rods although a bit heavy by today's standards. Easy casting and perfect for sinking heads off a boat.