Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aland

New boat gas tank question.

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I have a verbal agreement to purchase an 85 Aquasport 170 with solid floor and transom, always barn kept, with a 2005 trailer and 2005 Yamaha 70hp with less than 50 hrs. for $4K. It was winterized 2 yrs ago and has been in the barn since. The concern that I have is that the current owner was concerned about ethanol so he ran a remote tank, bypassing the in deck tank. If I decide to go back to the 27 gal what preparation do I need and how do I go about doing it?

Replace all the fuel lines to the engine/clean every last bit of old fuel out at the least.

Pressure test/see whats in the tank/completely replace the tank at most.

yeah.... what he said. I went through the "ethanol nightmare" last year when I bought my latest "project boat" (ie, POS);)

I erally like the boat, but used remote tanks until now when the entire tank and fuel lines are being replaced.....

I am wondering if I replace lines, then fill tank, and get a couple of filters for fuel water separator and run for a while, replacing if need be if that would protect engine. Also, how do you do a pressure test?

Find out what the tank is made from 1st. Plastic? (usually fine) Aluminum? (they rot out easy w/ water from the Ethanol)

Don't do a pressure test (will only show seepage/leak) unless it's a metal tank and 4-6 lbs pressure max or they will buckle or blow apart since they aren't made for pressure. Plastic will blow apart even easier. Just use a soapy spray at all fitting to see if it leaks.

Why not recover the Gas?

Drain the tank into a gas safe Jerry can or Plastic (HDPE 4 or 5) barrel etc.. Then let this sit (raised up so you can siphon the gas easier out later) for 2 days to let the water settle. put a siphon hose 2" off the bottom and salvage the gas by adding StarTron and 2 gallons Premium new gas to 10 gals old gas. With prices today, recover it and burn it in your car.

I also like adding Chemtool B-12 fuel treatment (Walmart $3-4), it's almost the same as "SeaFoam" Gas Treatment and also kicks the Octane up a notch.

HTH!

p.s.

I have 40 yrs experience as a Heavy Equip./Boat/Motorcycle etc. Mech.

Thanks MacgyverRI, the tank is aluminum but I don't think it has gas since pre-ethanol. Should I pull the tank no matter what - or is there a way to test the tank without opening up the hull?

If there is a hatch over the sender, unscrew the sender and you can use that to see the inside condition of the tank. A "Remote Scope" (borrow one? cheap at Harbor Freight) will let you look inside for any serious pitting.

Most Tanks are put in place in the hull and the decks are put on after :(

Speaking from the perspective of having re-worked a 1967 SeaCraft, I agree with Squidlips; replace everything, and if you get into a fabricated aluminum tank like I did, (and I don't think you have to do), don't assume it's clean as a whistle right from the shop. Ditto the new hoses. When I started mine for the first time, I couldn't believe the debris that I found in the bottom of the Racor filter.

if you look on moeller's website they list just about every tank made in plastic. the tank probably runs about 200-300. the 60 gal for my robalo was 375. robalo was fairly easy as the tank sits in a coffin that has a removable hatch over it. i just had to foam the tank in place. many boats though you will have to chop out the floor to replace it. good luck:)