Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Korean War stories, from family.

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Do we have any to share?

The Korean War was fought by men who had often also seen war in WW II. They're old enough to be going, now ... and while we can still hear them it would be nice to listen.

Anyone?

I was in college with a girl whose father escaped from a Korean POW camp with a few other guys.

It happened in the dead of winter and they didn't really know exactly where in Korea they were, so once

they were outside the fence they all went in separate directions to better their chances of being rescued.

This guy walked for two days until an American patrol found him and brought him to the hospital where he was treated for severe frostbite.

The other 4 or 5 guys he escaped with were never heard from again. He was visibly shaken while telling us the story.

This girl told us later that he had never shared that story with anyone else ever before.

My deceased uncle was a Marine who fought only in the Korean War.

When I was a small boy, he told me he had appendectomy on a battlefield in Korea and did not say anything about a field hospital.

My recollection might be incorrect, but I remember him saying "on the battlefield."

He never told me anything else about his service in the Marine Corps.

My uncle served in both WWII and Korea. He talked about WWII with pride, but refused to say a word about Korea. I have read a number of books on Korea.. tough war for sure.

My dad was a Marine and also served in Korea. He would not talk about war ever. He's gone now I miss him a lot.

My mom had it rough with him waking up in the middle of the night from the nightmares. He would just get out of bed and go sit in his chair and not say a word to her.

My father was a survivor of the Chosin Reservoir. He never talked about Korea or Nam. About 20 years before he died he joined the Chosin Few and started going to reunions. It was after these that he started having emotional/psychological problems. Experiences that he had locked deep in his memory started coming forward. I don't believe that his life was better for his attendance at these reunions. I have tried to talk to his fellow Chosin Few members and other Korean vets and few will talk about it especially to a civilian.

My uncle Albert Mosiello was a Korean War veteran. I cant think of the company name he worked for after the war but he became Vice President. During the war he was assigned to lay all the communication lines all over Korea. One story he told me he and his buddy were in a jeep driving and before they got into the jeep he and his buddy argued over who would drive. His buddy said you are higher in rank let me drive. Minutes later gunfire erupted and his buddy was mortally wounded, head shot right next to him. I didnt get to know him as he died of lung cancer in 1983 at age 51. He was my older brother and cousins hero. He married a Korean woman who he met over in Korea, got her home to the states and they had 1 child.

My father was in Korea and is still alive he has never told a battle story as far as I know. i do remember once when i was a kid that my mother came home from the supermarket was with some cans of spam which did not go over well at all. He took all the cans and through them in the trash. I guess when he was in the war he and a friend promised each other that if they got home they would never have spam in there home. Needless to say we have never had it again in the house and still till this day i have never tried it.

I go to alot of high end "used" book stores to look for Military History books. It is rare that you see 1-2 books on the Korea war versus the mass on Civil, WWII and Vietnam

very very true mako, I do the same but have found some gems over the years

if you dont have it already, keep your eyes out for a book by TR Ferenback, called

"This Kind of War"....the war is told thru the eyes of fighting men and small unit

action for the most part

My father was 25th Infantry; he never spoke of combat. All I can remember him speaking of was that when winter set in, it was brutally cold.

Hi Go, my dad was also in the 25th ID, mostly 1952 -early 1953.

When was your dad there & what Regiment was he with?

My dad carried a camera as part of his scout duties, he brought home a bunch of photos of places, places you dad may have been as well... depending on when your dad was there the photos may be of interest to you, let me know