Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shag

Anyone use those propane weed torches?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I've been thinking of getting one,but don't want it to become something else being stored in the shed (like the snowblower). They 're pretty inexpensive, and come in a range of btu's. Any advice?

Thanks,

Pete

We use them on the farm. For the most part flame weeding only slows the growth of weeds and grasses. If you want to kill the stuff use Roundup.

They work fine if you catch the weeds early in the spring, but once they grow a root system the flame weeders are useless.

They are also useless on established grasses, not to mention the danger of starting a grass fire.

I have one that I've used for getting weeds in the cracks of the driveway/walkway. I agree with Speedracer that they don't work very well once the weed is established, but if you use it regularly to get new weeds it can be pretty effective. My weeding is pretty sporadic, so I've gone to a citrus oil-based herbicide that is much more effective on more established weeds

I've been thinking of getting one,but don't want it to become something else being stored in the shed (like the snowblower). They 're pretty inexpensive, and come in a range of btu's. Any advice?

Thanks,

Pete

A lot of guys also use them to start the coals quicker for their bbq's and smokers.

Should try it on paper wasps and yellow-jackets.

Yikes!!!! I don't think I'll be trying that, all th paper wasps seem to build nests under the eaves of the house . Yeah, not going to try that. I bought a Hobart brand today on the Brazilian River for about $65.

I still can 't figure out what this weed is that. Invaded our yard. Small 4 pedal flowers and grows like carpet. Thanks for the replies guys.

Pete

I still can 't figure out what this weed is that. Invaded our yard. Small 4 pedal flowers and grows like carpet. Thanks for the replies guys.

Pete

See, I would embrace that and let it grow, cause lawns are evil.................;)

I have two 200 pound mastiffs. Between the two of them, they kill off anything that tries to grow in the lawn including the grass. I'd be happy with green weeds.

I could send you a couple gallons of pee. It seems to kill everything here. It would only take a day or two to collect! Ha ha ha!

I use mine for driveway repair and napalming ants. Works good for edging in the beginning of fall when crabgrass is dead, but like Speed said once the season is going& the weed is established it's not really effective.

Cuz it sounds like a 747 taking off and spurts a flame 2-feet long...:D:

We used them to light brush piles in timber sales. We always made sure to fill them in the morning w temps in the teens and let them warm in the sun all day before torching our piles.......it would shoot flames 10'.

never used one, but watched my neighbor across the street use it on his property, and lite the neighboring town DEP wooden fence on fire. It was kinda funny.