Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kb56

Rod Suggestion

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Im looking to match up a rod to a new-to-me VS300. I surf out of Montauk and some surrounding areas. I'd like to 'reach out' as far as I can, and want some good action. I toss tins, bucktails, and plugs. Id like to hear your suggestions and reasons for them as Im not too rod literate.

Thank you,

Kb

That's a big comer sum heavy reel & the largest of the VS. I suggest you bring the reel into a tackle shop & try it on a couple of rods yourself. No one can pick a rod for someone else! You have to be comfortable with it. Your the one who will be fishing it.

I don't know what you plan on doing with it ( Plugging or chunking bait ) I had a 300 years ago on a 11' Custom Lami I had built. The set up was more work than fun! To heavy for my liking. Not an outfit you'd want to throw all day! Just my own opinion

This is a question that comes down to user preference. How hard are you on your tackle? Lami, Century, CTS, St.Croix are just a few manufacturers that have rods that would work, the middle two offer blanks and you would have to have one custom built. For Montauk you would probably be well served with a 11 footer but people use a lot of 10 footers. It would also help to know what weights you throw the most.

Im tossing 1-2 ounces, sometimes more depending upon the conditions. Im a clutz and need something durable.

Since you admit your a clutz i would recommend something along the lines of a Penn power stick or Daiwa Emcast or Sealine rod.

The Emcast surf has a nine footer thats rated 1-4oz, the longer models are rated 3-6oz so that's no good .The Sealine rods have a 10,11, and 12 footer rated 1-6. Bass pro Ocean master surf rods has a 9 footer rated 1-3oz and their Power stick 10 footer is rated at 1-5oz.

I don't have all the 2012 catalogs so i would check the company's individual sites. The Ugly stick brand has a few surf rods that are very durable.

It's to bad that you can't be careful with the rods because most guys like to match a VS up with a top shelf graphite rod.

You do realize that wanting a rod that can throw for great distance and still wanting it to be able to take a pounding is asking a lot and the two rarely go together.

If you concentrate on your casting technique and really practice you should be able to achieve respectable distance with any rod.

It's true that a guy who has solid technique will more often than not outcast a guy with a far better rod but poor casting skills all day long.

If you think you can avoid sharp blows to the blank and repeated drops i was going to suggest one of Lami's Surf and Jetty models, they will provide you with far better performance while still being pretty durable compared to some others that are on the market.

I would check out the rod manufacturers individual sites and look for the models that are rated for what your throwing. Better yet get in the car and go to a few tackle shops and see what appeals to you. Good luck

You also just might want to sell the reel & get a totally different outfi all together. But like I said it's not a popular size reel being so large. There is one on the BST selling for $475.00 & for that money you could pick up a new Rod & Reel. Maybe a 10'6 mojo & a Shimano Saragosa 8000F Reel. I think you may be more happier with that set-up.

And the Shimano will cast a lot better than the 300 & you want have to pay a lot of money on service.

Well Im working on the grace thing, Im more interested in a good rod these days. Thanks for the info.

I am planning a trip to a dealer, but I want to know what to look for.

What's your budget? The better rods have better warranties, but only a few manufacturers will replace a busted rod due to user error. Can you transport a 1 piece rod? How long of a rod were you thinking? You might want a custom wrapped rod with a guide layout that will optimize the 300 you have. You said you fish Montauk so a VS is perfect, so long as you don't mind the weight of the 300. Do you fish on the rocks, under the light, or on the beaches? Fish a superline or mono?

I'm in also in the Hudson Valley if you want to slap the reel on a few 10", 10'6" and 11" factory rods to test cast.

What's your budget? The better rods have better warranties, but only a few manufacturers will replace a busted rod due to user error. Can you transport a 1 piece rod? How long of a rod were you thinking? You might want a custom wrapped rod with a guide layout that will optimize the 300 you have. You said you fish Montauk so a VS is perfect, so long as you don't mind the weight of the 300. Do you fish on the rocks, under the light, or on the beaches? Fish a superline or mono?

I'm in also in the Hudson Valley if you want to slap the reel on a few 10", 10'6" and 11" factory rods to test cast.

You got guts:th::th: