Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

SAT study guide...

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in Mass View Post

Like I said, no amount of cramming for a month or even 6 months can EVER replace what one was supposed to learn and grasp over the course of 10 years or so of schooling. If ya don't know it by then, trying to learn it all in a few months is doomed to failure.

you are missing the point,

it's not about turning a crappy score into a good one,

it's about adding points,

a kid who would get into an ok school gets into a good one,

a kid who would get into a very good school might need a few points to qualify for the IVYs

this isn't a pass fail deal,

it's about adding points to raise what you qualify for.

you are missing the point,

it's not about turning a crappy score into a good one,

it's about adding points,

a kid who would get into an ok school gets into a good one,

a kid who would get into a very good school might need a few points to qualify for the IVYs

this isn't a pass fail deal,

it's about adding points to raise what you qualify for.

It's not worth arguing with him. It's like a Monty Python skit. Let it go.

SAT classes help test takers become accustomed to the format, feel, and timing of the test . This way they're not taking the test "cold" .

They do this by giving students old SAT tests as well as some basic training in math and vocabulary.

The classes don't raise your IQ, they just give you a head start on everybody else.

STEVE IS CORRECT ( no, you are not seeing things)

The SAT's are an aptitude test. Colleges don't care about what you can remember eg. whats the 34th state, what kind of car did Abe Lincoln drive, etc. ,

because that kind if information can be learned and forgotten very quickly.

They want to know what your capacity for learning is and they do it by using a lot of timed cognitive problems you can't study for.

Lots of students will be able to figure out the answers eventually, but how many can do it quickly? It's all about speed.

This is why Mensa will consider SAT scores for prospective membership, but only those who score in the 98th percentile will be accepted.

So only the best of the best of the best can ever be accepted into the gold standard of high IQ societies;Certifiable geniuses each and every one.

100,000 members worldwide and each an unquestioned brainiac of monumental scale.

Anybody can claim to be a genius, but Mensa members can prove it!!!

Mensa; the champions of super smartness!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedracer View Post

SAT classes help test takers become accustomed to the format, feel, and timing of the test . This way they're not taking the test "cold" .

They do this by giving students old SAT tests as well as some basic training in math and vocabulary.

The classes don't raise your IQ, they just give you a head start on everybody else.

STEVE IS CORRECT ( no, you are not seeing things)

The SAT's are an aptitude test. Colleges don't care about what you can remember eg. whats the 34th state, what kind of car did Abe Lincoln drive, etc. ,

because that kind if information can be learned and forgotten very quickly.

They want to know what your capacity for learning is and they do it by using a lot of timed cognitive problems you can't study for.

Lots of students will be able to figure out the answers eventually, but how many can do it quickly? It's all about speed.

This is why Mensa will consider SAT scores for prospective membership, but only those who score in the 98th percentile will be accepted.

So only the best of the best of the best can ever be accepted into the gold standard of high IQ societies;Certifiable geniuses each and every one.

100,000 members worldwide and each an unquestioned brainiac of monumental scale.

Anybody can claim to be a genius, but Mensa members can prove it!!!

Mensa; the champions of super smartness!!!

Why do you have to make EVERYTHING about you????

The most interesting factor is how the SATs are used to justify current teachers' inadequacy. The SAT average scores have gone up over the years even though the students have been dumbed down. The teacher's union is responsible for this. What average score gets you into the top 1% now? In the mid-60's. it was about 1100 (combined reading-math/science scores). It is simply a method to hide how badly the system has degenerated.

As someone else said, there was no preparation done in the earlier days. That would have been considered cheating. The only advice we were given in the 60's was that on one test a section of questions was offset and easily missed and we were advised to be careful not to skip it. Now, teachers in some states are held accountable for average scores and their future depends upon the children scoring adequately. In many areas, teachers and principals have cheated that their own failures might go unnoticed.

The national teacher's union is an enemy of America.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whopper Bubba View Post

The national teacher's union is an enemy of America.

every american except maybe 1% are enemies of America..........

we get it.

I was stoned and hungover for mine. .......those things were great.

Yup same here. Fell asleep during part of the verbal.

Nailed the math, but meh on the verbal.

Tam, have her take as many practice tests. It is a system to these tests.

Good luck

she took the PSAT this year. her verbal and communication and reading comprehension skills were phenomenal. this didn't surprise me as her nose is always in a book and whenever a word comes up she doesn't know the meaning of, it's "Hey Tam, what does _________ mean?"

her math scores were pretty low. she's an extremely intelligent girl who WANTS to go on to grad school and be a doctor of some kind. getting into a good school is important to her. so she wants to excel on the SAT, because she's behind the curve on the number of AP classes she's taken. she just started them in the 10th grade, instead of the 9th like most other AP students.

so she knows that with colleges looking at criteria like GPA, number of AP classes, community service and SAT scores... that the only real places she can improve is the SAT score and community service... so that is what this summer is going to be all about. her GPA is pretty good. she's maintained straight A's in her AP classes. she's got her two years of foreign language (her Spanish grade came up quite a bit this semester, from a D to a B!) and so she knows she has to really make up for things on the SAT.

knowing the way she learns, her teachers and myself decided that an SAT study guide that SHOWS the work will be the best one for her. and taking practice tests so that the format isn't confusing during the test is not a bad thing either, so say the teachers. so that's why i asked. thanks frank for pointing out the two that you did. i'll definitely be looking those up when we head over to the city next time and stop in at the book store. unfortunately, after 20 years of not using higher math skills, i've forgotten how to solve those problems, so am no help to her. we figure if we find something that really shows how to work the problem, it will also jar my memory and therefore help ME to help her too.

the teacher i spoke to did not have any recommendation on which books to use.

thanks for the feedback.

Hey Tam, I believe you can take the SAT up to 3 times and your highest score in each section will always remain. With that in mind your niece can take her 1st SAT and score very well in verbal and communication and reading comprehension and the test results will show what sections of math may need improvement. The next time she takes the test she can skip the verbal and communication and reading comprehension altogether and concentrate all her efforts on the math sections. One other thing, I agree that taking the practice test helps the student tremendously by eliminating 1 or 2 of the possible 4 answers. Answers such as "always" or "never" are easy to disregard making the choice sometimes between only 2 answers.n thereSteve, I have to disagree with you somewhat. Having 2 sons that did not score very well on their 1st SAT I had them tutored before taking the 2nd test. They both improved their scores over 300 points by seeing where they were deficient and how to eliminate certain answers. Both boys have since graduated college and are working with great companies. They make very good money, have bennies, 401K plans and enjoy what they do.