Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delarock

Fly Fishing in Cape Coral/Ft Myers... right now.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

So a business opportunity came my way... and I'm going to be in Cape Coral from Monday through Thursday of next week. I have a 9ft 9wt with an intermediate surf taper and an 11ft... 5wt switch rod with a floating skagit head. I should have no problem bringing my rod and reels down, but I can't really bring anything else, specifically no waders. If there is a possibility that I have the materials and a pattern to stare at, I can probably tie and pack some flies.

I hear that the fishing is spectacular down there this time of year. I don't have a lot of time, I don't want to spend money on a guide. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where/what I can catch something on the fly?

If you happen to be in the area and wanna show a Jersey kid around, I'll buy you dinner and drinks. :D

simple as pie, wish I was down there with you, but tie up a few surf candies and clousers. that's literally all I fished when I was down there and killed them. can't remember names for the death of me, but if you can, make sure you fish the channels in fort myers with white clousers. best of luck

Ok, I assume you have a ride of some sort.  There are three species you will be targeting, trout (like a weakfish), redfish (red drum), and snook .  Check seasons and lengths on all three, should all be open.

Ft. Myers Beach - You can fish from under both sides of the bridge on a walkway.  Hard to fly fish there, though. #1 spot - The north end of Ft. Myers Beach is a park where you can wade both Gulf, inlet and bay for all three species.  The southern end of Ft. Myers Beach (a long drive) leads over to Lover's Key, a mostly uninhabited island with great fishing at the pullovers and from the tourist beach and inlet.  Try the "no-leash" dog park there also.

Cape Coral - the bridge on Colonial Rd has a park at the foot with a boat ramp.  You can get to the water to fish.  There is not too much water access in the Cape or on Pine Island (north end has a pier-again, a long drive).

The road leading to Sanibel Island, on both sides of the bridge is also a great place and huge.  On the mainland side you can fish the Gulf on the left side.  Pay the fare to cross the bridge ($6?) and you can fish both sides of the causeway, Gulf on south side, bay on north side for a mile or so.

Flies - Chartreuse and white clousers catch everything.  Use weighted flies for the reds, they feed on the bottom.  Trout and snook are fierce predators of anything that swims. There is a fly shop called "Lehr's" in N. Ft. Myers if you need supplies.

I know a hole with fresh-water tarpon by Healthpark Hospital, but you'd never find it on your own. 

I lived down there for 10 years and loved it.  Now I'm in NJ...

PS.  If you catch a keeper snook, be sure to skin it, or you will find out why old timers call it "soap fish".  Snook is the best eating of the three.

Good Luck!

Lover's Key-  North side on the point on the ocean side.  Park one hour before sunrise, walk east on the beach, when you get to the point throw a black snake fly.  You'll catch snook and speckled trout and maybe redfish.  About an hour after sunrise, walk south on the beach looking for snook about 15 feet from shore hanging out close to shore.  Throw a fuzzy bunny, white snake fly, brown clousers, or anything mid level with red face white body.  It should take you two hours to get to the southern point.  there should be snook nearby the trees that are down.  The channel on the south side is full of jack crevalle (enjoy).  Lover's key is one of the best spots I've fished in a long time.  there will be fish there.  I fished the north side on an incoming tide and the south side on an outgoing.  Keep your head up on the the walk down to the south side, there should be plenty of snook.  If not cast 60' out and you'll get lady fish at least.  Let me know how you do, I'll be there in June!

Tom

Pine Island is good too.  Go over the bridge , was a bait shop on the right.  Ask for Mal , he rents Yaks and also writes a column in the fly section.  ON the way back as you go over the bridge again, on the right is Burt's . Have a cold one.

One of the better shore spots with the fly is the mouth of big Carlos Pass accessed as mentioned from the Northern border of Lovers Key. The main entrance to the park opens I think at 8am but you used to be able to walk in the Northern gate before sunrise though last year they started locking it at night. It is an honor pay access so you drop two bucks in a metal lockbox with the provided envelope. Think maybe they were having problems with this being broken into thus the locked gate. Anyway not sure about the sunrise access now. The parking is just over the big Carlos pass bridge coming from Ft Myers on the right. You can walk and fish the shore from the bridge all the way out and around the point. A nine weight would generally be over kill for most of what you will catch but will work. The inside is fairly shallow grass and sand flats. Lots of moving water at the point and deeper.

Other option is to drive out to Sanibel and fish. Costs six bucks to get over there but worth seeing and fishing.

Hit one of the bridges - the one near the dog beach - on Lovers Key. Plenty of small, thin, silver bait but nothing bothering them. It was pretty much slack tide for that area. Have to adjust tide chart that I had as there was a big delay. Nothing hitting. A few bait guys were headed out and had only pick up a few tiny Jack Cravalle.

What Jeffsod said, Also if you do fish the causeway going to Sanibel it basically has 3 spans with 2 islands A, B and C span the first Island is A island and the second is B island. I only fish on the left hand side of the causeway heading towards Sanibel when the winds are from the North. One of the better areas to fly fish is on B island just past the last bathrooms ( a plus for the family). You can wade down towards the C span but I like the flat off the island itself better to the right of the bathrooms. 

You won't get Snook there but it can be good for Trout, Spanish, Pompano, maybe a Red and the dreaded Lady Fish.  

Glad I found this thread!  My wife and I will be spending 12 days in Fort Myers at my aunt & uncle's place, which is only a mile or two from the bridge to Sanibel.  I plan on fishing the brackish water pond in their RV park, which has some baby tarpon in it, but hope to wade the flats over on Sanibel as much as possible.  This will be my first time fly fishing the salt and I GREATLY appreciate all of the help your above posts are going to be.  Thanks guys.

Glad I found this thread!  My wife and I will be spending 12 days in Fort Myers at my aunt & uncle's place, which is only a mile or two from the bridge to Sanibel.  I plan on fishing the brackish water pond in their RV park, which has some baby tarpon in it, but hope to wade the flats over on Sanibel as much as possible.  This will be my first time fly fishing the salt and I GREATLY appreciate all of the help your above posts are going to be.  Thanks guys.

Are you gonna have a kayak? If so I can give you some good places to go. When are you going? The tamiami trail is good shore fishing in the winter and also you can go to the Everglades and kayak fish they have rentals there too. Sanibel is good too just when it's real cold it gets slower. I just left yesterday was tearing the redfish and snook up.