Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nick2cd

Where can i get a few feet of 80lb mono?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Im trying to make mono eyes for some crab patterns. since i live in west virginia (no where near saltwater), i have been unsuccessful in finding 80lb mono. i don't want to order an entire spool of the stuff off the internet. i've checked my local tackle shop, walmart, dicks, and gander mountain. no one carries anything that large. any other ideas of places to check or any other materials im not thinking of that would work for this purpose?

Roll the tip of a section of some 40# or similar mono in epoxy or CCG/Tuffleye and cure. Then paint the resulting "eyeball" with your choice of nail polish. In my experience this works better than burning because the eyes will be centered rather than falling to one side or the other of the unburnt portion of the mono shaft.

How about some of the smaller size line used in grass trimmers?

this seems like it could work. of course i don't have any of that on hand, but regardless, it's a good idea. i'll make an exploratory trip to lowes and see what happens.

Send me a PM with your address early next week and I'll send some out to you. If you send the PM now I will forget. :D

DAQ,

thank you! this is extremely generous of you. i will attempt to exhaust all resources before i take you up on your offer. let me see if the line trimmer idea will work.

Roll the tip of a section of some 40# or similar mono in epoxy or CCG/Tuffleye and cure. Then paint the resulting "eyeball" with your choice of nail polish. In my experience this works better than burning because the eyes will be centered rather than falling to one side or the other of the unburnt portion of the mono shaft.

also a good idea. i want the eyes to be black, so would a sharpie just wipe off or would it permanently mark epoxy/ CCG?

Go to your nearest craft store and buy some glass beads (cheap). Make your eyes by slipping the beads over the thickest mono you have and melt the ends so the beads don't slip off. A drop of crazy glue will hold the bead in place. Another choice is to go to your nearest dollar store and buy a cheap hair brush. The nylon bristles are just the right size and they will fit through the bead hole if you cut them flush with a razor blade or you can just melt the bristle itself to make your eyes.

also a good idea. i want the eyes to be black, so would a sharpie just wipe off or would it permanently mark epoxy/ CCG?

I would pick up gloss black nail polish for $2 at walmart or local drug store. The permanent marker will not work on CCG (without coating in hard as nails and allowing to dry), and on epoxy will look weak/watered down.