Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Guide to split rings and hooks?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I seem to recall that someone here posted a guide to split ring and hook sizes for lures awhile back. I can't find it now. Can anyone help with that? I have 100 + plugs that need rehabbing with the kids at school.

Ed I copied this out of the Online Store.

Sizes 2 and 2 1/2 for the smallest of plugs. The size 3 would be for all plugs smaller than 6" bombers such as the smaller MegaBaits, smaller bombers, Yozuri's, etc. The 4, 5, 5 1/2 is perfect for 6" bombers, 6" MegaBaits...and the 7" versions of the same and similar sized creations. The 6 or 6 1/2 is for lures on which you need to be absolutely positive that the split ring will never open...not even if you are trying to stop a freight train. Both the 5 1/2, 6, and 6 1/2 would be ideal for replacing open-eye hooks on the bigger wooden plugs. Made of heavier wire than the other brands...but still sized properly.

Pulled this out of another thread.

www.**********.com check this site out.

Edited- Please don't post commercial links.

Thanks for the effort, but the commercial link issue is always a no-no here.

Ed I copied this out of the Online Store.

Sizes 2 and 2 1/2 for the smallest of plugs. The size 3 would be for all plugs smaller than 6" bombers such as the smaller MegaBaits, smaller bombers, Yozuri's, etc. The 4, 5, 5 1/2 is perfect for 6" bombers, 6" MegaBaits...and the 7" versions of the same and similar sized creations. The 6 or 6 1/2 is for lures on which you need to be absolutely positive that the split ring will never open...not even if you are trying to stop a freight train. Both the 5 1/2, 6, and 6 1/2 would be ideal for replacing open-eye hooks on the bigger wooden plugs. Made of heavier wire than the other brands...but still sized properly.

Pulled this out of another thread.

Thanks Derrick, that helps a lot with the split rings. I'll keep looking fo that hook guide. I'd like to have everything ready when I get the kids in to do this.

Hi,

If you google hooks "split ring" chart you should find a result for Casting Spoon Hook and Split Ring Table. Select that search result and the page will provide a chart of split ring sizes for siwash (up to 5/0) and treble hooks (up to 3/0).

RS

Not sure what kind of hooks you're using but found this.

VMC 9626PS

#4 - .66" from point to point -- .88" tall -- about 1gm

#2 - .75" from point to point -- 1.01" tall -- 1.4gm

#1 - .80" from point to point -- 1.09" tall -- 1.8gm

1/0 - .92" from point to point -- 1.15" tall -- 2.2gm

2/0 - .99" from point to point --1.23" tall -- 2.9gm

3/0 - 1.10" from point to point -- 1.38" tall -- 3.3gm

4/0 - 1.19" from point to point -- 1.55" tall -- 4.7gm

5/0 - 1.39" from point to point -- 1.88" tall -- 6.3gm

(**special thanks to my digital caliber, 100gm postal scale and lots of VMC hooks smile.gif

)

TimS