Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BranfordJeff

A real zero emissions car!

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

From Consumer Reports:

Quote:

Our Fisker Karma cost us $107,850. It is super sleek, high-tech—and now it’s broken.

We have owned our car for just a few days; it has less than 200 miles on its odometer. While doing speedometer calibration runs on our test track (a procedure we do for every test car before putting it in service by driving the car at a constant 65 mph between two measured points), the dashboard flashed a message and sounded a “bing“ showing a major fault. Our technician got the car off the track and put it into Park to go through the owner’s manual to interpret the warning. At that point, the transmission went into Neutral and wouldn’t engage any gear through its electronic shifter except Park and Neutral.

consumer-reports-fisker-02-jpg_000227.jpWe let the car sit for about an hour and restarted it. We could now engage Drive and the same error message disappeared. After moving it only a few feet the error message reappeared and when we tried to engage Reverse the transmission went straight to Park and again no motion gear could be engaged. After calling the dealer, which is about 100 miles away, they promptly sent a flatbed tow truck to haul away the disabled Fisker.

We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process.

Building an all-new car company from the ground up is a monumental challenge, especially for a car with innovative drivetrain technology like the Karma. Designing, engineering, certification, manufacturing, and distributing an all-new car pose giant hurtles for a start-up company.

We encountered other problems with a Karma press car that visited the track for a few hours, and we have heard of problems at press events. In addition, we see that some owners are experiencing a variety of issues, as evidenced by forums such as FiskerBuzz.com.

At least this 2.2 million dollar coal-fired car won't be creating any pollution. When you consider the $529M grant and the fact that there's only 239 cars (which were all recalled already, btw) the real cost of these cars is $2.3M each.

Made in Finland, too.

Cool looking car, though. No wind noise!

From Consumer Reports:

At least this 2.2 million dollar coal-fired car won't be creating any pollution. When you consider the $529M grant and the fact that there's only 239 cars (which were all recalled already, btw) the real cost of these cars is $2.3M each.

Made in Finland, too.

Cool looking car, though. No wind noise!

Is that because it is sitting still?

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcaster View Post

Is that because it is sitting still?

Yep! No emissions, either, even though it's supposed to run on coal power.

anything on the Telsa Electric cars Jeff?

Jeff Skoll (Telsa Motors) just made the Billionaire Club.

3.7seconds to 60 mph

300 miles per charge

no emmisions

Since 2008 Tesla has sold more than 2,100 Roadsters in 31 countries through December 2011

As of October 2011, Tesla has reached its limit of 6,500 reservations for the Model S and expects to begin delivering cars to customers in 2012 US$57,400

a good stock to buy imho

3.7seconds to 60 mph

300 miles per charge

no emmisions

Since 2008 Tesla has sold more than 2,100 Roadsters in 31 countries through December 2011

As of October 2011, Tesla has reached its limit of 6,500 reservations for the Model S and expects to begin delivering cars to customers in 2012 US$57,400

a good stock to buy imho

It's great until you leave it unplugged for a while and the batteries go into a deep uncharged state and they can't be charged again Then it's a brick, an expensive brick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J View Post

Real "zero emission" car...

fred_wilma_baby_car.jpg

JAY!!!!! You're alive! Damn, I haven't seen you around in a while. Maybe I just missed it.

SWEET RIDE!!! I like it!

All automobiles require some level of owner care. For example, combustion vehicles require regular oil changes or the engine will be destroyed. Electric vehicles should be plugged in and charging when not in use for maximum performance. All batteries are subject to damage if the charge is kept at zero for long periods of time. However, Tesla avoids this problem in virtually all instances with numerous counter-measures. Tesla batteries can remain unplugged for weeks (even months), without reaching zero state of charge. Owners of Roadster 2.0 and all subsequent Tesla products can request that their vehicle alert Tesla if SOC falls to a low level. All Tesla vehicles emit various visual and audible warnings if the battery pack falls below 5 percent SOC. Tesla provides extensive maintenance recommendations as part of the customer experience. - Telsa Motors

gee if I don't ever recharge my laptop do you think it will stop working?

let's think about that some :huh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadogface View Post

3.7seconds to 60 mph

300 miles per charge

no emmisions

a good stock to buy imho

No emissions? LMAO Not bad for a coal fired car. No, they don't have a 100% recall rate like this one and the volt. Yet.

Those performance numbers aren't much improved of the electric cars of 100+ years ago. Not exactly groundbreaking.

How much of that billion is from "goverment money"? 

Tesla is trying to lead the way in solar Tech.

I hope they get the bugs worked out, and they can produce an affordable electric car.

As it stands now, very few people can, and fewer will buy an automobile that costs upward of $100K.

Until the cars can be on a dealer's lot, and out the door for around $20,K, there won't be many on the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dena View Post

Tesla is trying to lead the way in solar Tech.

I hope they get the bugs worked out, and they can produce an affordable electric car.

As it stands now, very few people can, and fewer will buy an automobile that costs upward of $100K.

Until the cars can be on a dealer's lot, and out the door for around $20,K, there won't be many on the road.

It would be sweet to see an economically viable solar car (Preferrably without a 100% recall rate) come along without having to be forced upon us, and having our hard earned tax dollars forced from us at the point of an IRS gun. It won't happen in my lifetime.

It would be sweet to see an economically viable solar car (Preferrably without a 100% recall rate) come along without having to be forced upon us, and having our hard earned tax dollars forced from us at the point of an IRS gun. It won't happen in my lifetime.

That's the part some don't get. The subsidizing, only to be ripped off game gets old after a while.

Let the market decide, not the government.

gee if I don't ever recharge my laptop do you think it will stop working?

let's think about that some :huh:

if your laptop battery drains completelty all you have to do is plug it back in. if your tesla does, call a crane. the wheels lock.