Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

Mitt Romney Praises Chinese Regulators

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

You can't make this stuff up.

At a town hall in Jackson, Miss., on Friday morning, Mitt Romney offered his usual full-throated defense of free enterprise and small government. He criticized the large number of employees and small workload in the Navy purchasing department, said health care needed to operate more like a private market, and told the audience, "I want freedom to reign forever in this country."

But in an answer warning against the dangers of over-regulation, Romney chose a curious example to tout free enterprise: China.

I got the chance after I lost to John McCain last time, to go over to -- that was the good part of losing -- I got to go to the Olympic Games in China. It's pretty impressive over there how quickly they can build things, how productive they are as a society. You should see their airport compared to our airports, their highways, their train systems. They're moving quickly in part because the regulators see their job as encouraging private people. It's amazing. The head of Coca-Cola said the business environment is friendlier in China than in America. And that's because of the regulators. That's because of government.

They're also moving quickly, of course, because China's communist government can seize property by fiat and marshal state-owned industries to build large projects. While much of China's economy is capitalist, Romney's praise of infrastructure projects like roads and airports seemed to be an odd defense of centrally-directed economics.

His comments also contrasted sharply with his typically harsh rhetoric on China, which he routinely refers to as a "currency manipulator" and threatens with higher tariffs.

within my field (occupational safety...you know, OSHA, one of the agencies that the right is trying to defang) their regulators are doing a piss-poor job of it. based on numbers put out by their own government, their occupational fatality rate is over three times that of the rate in the US (one death per 9600 workers compared to one in 31000 workers here). that's not injuries (not sure what the Chinese equivalent of an OSHA recordable is) and does not take into consideration lost time, property damage or environmental (community) impact.

this is a good thing.....let the chicomms load up on regs and bloated bearucracy, then maybe we can compete withthem on an even playing field. lol that might shut the whiners up.

I don't doubt your post, it just isn't relevant to Romney's flip flop. If a flip flop was good for Kerry, it has to be good for all. Otherwise that's called being "unfair." And we all want to be fair, right ?

nothing makes me more angry than Right wingers fawning over the Chinese business environment.

gee id think you would love the chicomms to rasie thier stanrds so we coudl comepte on an even plain with them.......

We wont lower our standrards.....so up yours............

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish'nmagician View Post

nothing makes me more angry than Right wingers fawning over the Chinese business environment.

Right-wingers LOVE Commies.

That's why they build their products in Communist China.

Right-wingers also love Theocracies and Totalitarian regimes.. such as Saudi Arabia.

Right-wingers can ALWAYS be counted on for going for MONEY over PRINCIPLES...

See what I did there... and OXYMORAN... Right-wingers, Money, Principles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punk Freud View Post

yup,

rights/freedoms/liberties are something they want for themselves,

but they LOVE a good repressive regime in which to set up shop.

I find it funny that the same people who laud Ronny Reagan for starving the USSR into submission,

are also the ones who spout off about free markets and why we have to send freighters loaded with cash to China.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish'nmagician View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punk Freud View Post

yup,

rights/freedoms/liberties are something they want for themselves,

but they LOVE a good repressive regime in which to set up shop.

I find it funny that the same people who laud Ronny Reagan for starving the USSR into submission,

are also the ones who spout off about free markets and why we have to send freighters loaded with cash to China.

Contemporary right-wing ideology is Completely Incoherent.

And when their contradictory positions are pointed out...

let the logical fallacies fly.

It's hopeless really