Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danc

Concern about Conquer 5000

7 posts in this topic

late last summer I was talked into buying a Conquer 5000 at Bass Pro Foxboro, MA. I had it loaded with braid, My problem is the reel is prone to "birds nests" where I have to cut it out. I have never had this problem with any of my other reels both fresh and salt. Also I use braid on most of my reels. Any suggestions?

i use the 5000 with a 8 1/2 ft st croix premier and 14# fireline, no problems, maybe spool is overloaded

Yup, have to agree here or perhaps your using one of the more standard braids instead of one of the fused varieties like Fireline Crystal which is a bit stiffer and in my experience, tend to work better with not just Penn spinning reels, but ANY spinning reel. Has something to do with light line braid and it's limpness that requires everything to be done perfectly or you get a wad of tangles traveling thru your line guides regardless of how much you've filled your spinning reel spool. Rule of thumb I now live with is fused superlines for spinning reels and braided superlines for baitcasters. Haven't had any problems since ...

Hope this helps.

Tim

Try this out. Pull out about 150yrds of the braid on your spool. Then pitch the braid with your thumb and index finger as you reel it back in. At a nice steady pace not to burn your fingers.

Do that about 3 times. You'll see on the first try that the braid on the grounds sort of spins back to the top guide. After the third try it should travel back onto your spool with out spinning.

This straight out your line, I guess certain braid that has memory on it depending on how the factory spools it up.

late last summer I was talked into buying a Conquer 5000 at Bass Pro Foxboro, MA. I had it loaded with braid, My problem is the reel is prone to "birds nests" where I have to cut it out. I have never had this problem with any of my other reels both fresh and salt. Also I use braid on most of my reels. Any suggestions?

What kind of rod is the conquer on?

What kind and # test braid are you using?

Do you have other reels and braid that work ok mounted on the same rod the conquer goes on?

Under what circumstances do you notice getting wind knots?

I'll assume you are not overfilling the spool because so much has been written about that and it sounds you are not new to braid. The reason why I ask all these questions is that sometimes (and it's more often than most people think), the wind knot issue is the rod, guides and spacing of the guides and not the reel itself. Different lures generate different amounts of line speed. For example a 7" redfin vs a 2 oz tin. Most rod and guides can handle the line speed of a 7 inch redfin because it is a relatively slow moving lure. The guides have ample time to funnel the line through as it's coming off the spool. A poor guide style and setup (spacing) will not show itself easily under these circumstances. No put a 2 oz tin on the same setup and cast as hard and far as you can. That's going to show you how well the rod/ guides can handle the braid as it's peeling off the reel at a high rate of speed. The conquer should handle braid fairly well. I'd be surprised if the problem does not lie somewhere else other than the reel.

I'm not saying that reels are never at fault or that some are not better than others with braid. We all know about line lay, spool diameter, and benefits of worm gear oscillation. A lot has been written about it here in other threads. There are the long cast spool reels like the emblem pro and spools design differences like Shimano's "propulsion line management" that contribute to casting performance with braid. This thread is really about "regular" type spinners like the conquer. The majority of the spinners out there fall into this category and a look at the rod along with other suggestions in this thread is worth your time if you are having wind knot issues.

Danc

To start off with that is very light braid to be using on that outfit. If you like using 14 there is no reason you can't switch to a good quality mono, the reel has plenty of line capacity, and you can kiss the birds nests goodbye. If you like braid for increased casting distance, up it to 30 pound test, still way smaller diameter than 14 pound mono and your birds nets will go away. I have used that reel with 30 braid (Power Pro) and had no casting problems. I use 30 Hi-Seas Grand Slam Braid and their Wildfire (fused braid) on my 5000 Slammers (older design, but still braid friendly) and 20 lb. on the 4000 and even the 3000. Overloading the spool with too much of any pound test braid can lead to loops getting wound under successive wraps and causing similar problems. Just saying....

Danc

To start off with that is very light braid to be using on that outfit. If you like using 14 there is no reason you can't switch to a good quality mono, the reel has plenty of line capacity, and you can kiss the birds nests goodbye. If you like braid for increased casting distance, up it to 30 pound test, still way smaller diameter than 14 pound mono and your birds nets will go away. I have used that reel with 30 braid (Power Pro) and had no casting problems. I use 30 Hi-Seas Grand Slam Braid and their Wildfire (fused braid) on my 5000 Slammers (older design, but still braid friendly) and 20 lb. on the 4000 and even the 3000. Overloading the spool with too much of any pound test braid can lead to loops getting wound under successive wraps and causing similar problems. Just saying....

C-fish, I don't think Danc ever indicated what line/rod he used. Someone else posted that about 14 fireline and the premier. Is the Hi Seas braid you use spectra type like suffix?