New Kitchen Faucet

Rate this topic

Belmo

I have to replace our kitchen faucet, and I want to get one of them pull-down type thingies, like the one in the picture below.

I'm planning on going to Home Despot, or Blowe's, and picking out one of the major brand-names (Moen, Delta, etc.) models that looks the best to us (my wife and I have a very sophisticated system for choosing household items like this: we have long, impassioned discussions, and then we do whatever she says). The installation, fortunately, should be pretty easy, as there aren't any pipes to sweat.

Anyone here have any recommendations on what types of faucets, or specific models, to look at? Is this going to be as easy as I think? Any tips, tricks, or other recommendations?

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

Personally, I would go to a plumbing supply instead of one of the Boxes. A lot of them have showrooms or you can check a showroom and get a model number and go to a counter place. You get what you pay for and while they look the same I think faucetts in particular are not. I like Kohler.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Agree w Jim 100% on not using the big box for faucets. I buy Kohler stuff from Davis and Warshaw. I bought a bunch of stuff for a remodel and since then lady gives me ~40% off list, but I'm always careful to keep going through her. All my bathroom stuff from is Kohler, but I like Grohe kitchen faucets. I have 2 of the Eurodisc, but they have plenty of models similar to the one pictured above.

See you on the big one.

Thanks, guys. I believe what you say.

Does anyone have any idea of a decent plumbing supply company in Philadelphia, or in the suburbs?

You could try Fergusons...pretty sure there is one in the Philadelphia area. I don't see anything wrong with buying from Homies...if they have what you want...though many people are not sure what they want, hence they go to Hommies and end up with something that is cheap and functional. If you're not sure go to Fergusons and talk to someone who (hopefully) asks you the right questions.

I like Grohe kitchen faucets.

I have a HansGrohe faucet in my kitchen

You guys have expensive tastes. Or, to put the same thing another way, your taste in kitchen faucets is like my taste in surf rod blanks. :D

Thanks for your help -- I found a decent Kohler model that is available for sale at my local Lowe's. I called, and they have it in stock. I would normally be an enthusiastic believer in getting a better piece of machinery like the Grohe, but we are considering remodeling the kitchen in a couple of years, and I don't want to shell out $500+ for a faucet that we might not decide to keep long-term.

I'll post a picture after it's in, preferably one of my five-year old spraying me in the face. Thanks to all of you for your help.

You can get that exact same HansGrohe at Costco.:)

Why the heck everyone bashes the box stores is beyond me. Bash away, yet continue to shop there? They didn't get so huge by being rip off artists. Makes no sense. But I digress.

Simple story - I needed a new Intermatic water heater timer. Unsure where to find one. Went online, and saw a few. Saw that ACE carries them as well. Went to a nearby electrical supply house, and they had one too. They wanted $165 dollars for it. ACE, 3 blocks away, same exact timer, $40.00. :shock:

IMO - I couldn't survive without the box stores we have here.

This turned out to be a pretty easy project (it would have been a cinch if the old faucet wasn't such a POS -- it was a bear to remove). And it turned out really well, a definite upgrade over the junk that I had before. Here's the final result, with the only thing missing from the picture some bloody bluefish racks in the sink:

Thanks for all the help, guys.

You can get that exact same HansGrohe at Costco.:)

Why the heck everyone bashes the box stores is beyond me. Bash away, yet continue to shop there? They didn't get so huge by being rip off artists. Makes no sense. But I digress.

Simple story - I needed a new Intermatic water heater timer. Unsure where to find one. Went online, and saw a few. Saw that ACE carries them as well. Went to a nearby electrical supply house, and they had one too. They wanted $165 dollars for it. ACE, 3 blocks away, same exact timer, $40.00. :shock:

IMO - I couldn't survive without the box stores we have here.

They got big by getting the manufacturers to build cheaper versions of products and not having an inventory of parts so they can be maintained instead of replaced. Having a working relationship at supply houses takes a little work and you have to ask for a discount, in most cases.

See you on the big one.

I gutted and remodeled my kitchen several years ago, and made the mistake of buying a Moen faucet. It came from a plumbing supply house, not Homies or Blowes. Within three years, it was leaking all over the place. I take it apart to see if it's just some gaskets/washers that need to be replaced. Nope, the entire faucet frame has rusted and there is no way to remove the cartridge. I called Moen regarding their, "buy it for looks, buy it for life" warranty. They tell me that does not apply to the faucet frame and that I'm SOL (pardon the pun). Will never buy another Moen.

Funny story: one day last fall I was standing at the customer service desk at Homies, waiting for them to bring up an item I had special ordered. A guy comes charging up and says, "I bought this faucet from you seven years ago, and here's the receipt. It's leaking, it say's it's guaranteed for life, and I want my money back". the girl calls the manager who says that the Home Depot exchange/return cutoff is 90 days, and that any warranty is made by the manufacturer, not Home Depot. The guy gets nasty, "Well, obviously you don't stand behind any of the products you sell. I'm never shopping here again". He then proceed to take a cart and go down one of the aisles. Me and another guy who were standing and the customer service desk bust out laughing.

Just imagine how happy you would be if you lost everything you have in life and then suddenly got it back
SOL Member #101

This turned out to be a pretty easy project (it would have been a cinch if the old faucet wasn't such a POS -- it was a bear to remove). And it turned out really well, a definite upgrade over the junk that I had before. Here's the final result, with the only thing missing from the picture some bloody bluefish racks in the sink:

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Now you need to replace the sink to match the faucet. ;):D

"Growing old is inevitable growing UP is optional"
"Rock and Roll never Dies it just passes out"

Nice faucet, Belmo!- we recently installed a similar product....

I'd like to give another nod to Ferguson's also-- complete bath and kitchen renovations, all with stuff from Fergusons.. unfortunately the branch near us moved...

Regarding the big stores, perhaps someone should start another thread about it... i shop there, but only for certain types of items.

There's also ALOT of opinion on the web about the matter...

Now you need to replace the sink to match the faucet. ;):D

Isn't that how it always starts? :D

Total cost for this, in case you're scoring at home, was about $275. The faucet, including tax, was $240-something at Blowe's, and I had to run to my local hardware store for a couple of compression fittings, plus two new braided-steel supply hoses (the ones that I removed were pure, unadulterated junk) that added about $30 or $35 to the final tally.

We'll see if it holds up, but so far I'm thrilled. I love this thing, as it makes washing dishes and general kitchen cleanup so much easier. Plus, with the removable sprayer, I get to call my wife Nurse Ratched, and reenact this unforgettable scene: