Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kings over Queens

Being part of a community.

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Today's estrogen filled thread is brought to you by KoQ, because when you need a hug, he's there.

So, last week we had the Food Fling, an annual event that draws members from near and far, to get together, break some bread, laugh, and most importantly, raise some money for local charities. It's a community event raising money for other community events. Good stuff all.

There are also other things that go on day to day that most of us never hear about, and I think that's part of community, doing things for others under the radar with no anticipation or expectation of reciprocation. I learned a lot about community when I started coaching little league, and also by embracing what goes on here. Not so much participating, but embracing it. There is a difference.

There are many other people here, wonderful people, who do the same, but for this second I want to recognize one of them, Churchman, who recently helped me with some repairs in my office. He noticed me asking a question to someone else about the cost to replace a hot water heater, and he volunteered to come and do it. That was several months ago. I'm a chronic procrastinator :laugh: but every few weeks he'd remind me to get off my ass and order the material.

I finally did, and he came the other day, driving 60 or so miles round trip, refusing any compensation or even to be reimbursed for tolls, gas, or some of the materials he purchased. He did it out of the kindness of his heart.

I didn't start this thread to draw attention to Rob. Well, actually, just a little. I really appreciate what he did for me. But if I know him, he knows that, that I appreciate it, and he knew it when he offered or he wouldn't have offered in the first place. No, I started this thread to serve as a reminder for all of us. The noobs who might find their way here with the purpose of a flame war. We are a community, and this isn't the place for that. Or for the old guard, who get frustrated when stoopid finds it way where it might not belong. Or of the myriad of other things that our lives throw at us.

Let it go, you are part of a community, and that is a good thing.

Now, who wants a hug?

:)

:wave:

Did you read the part about the noobs who come here for a flame war? :)

Not to crap on my own feel good thread Rusty, but that is what in large part frustrates me about you. You don't get it.

Hopefully you will read what I wrote and come to understand what this site and the people on it mean to me and to many others and you will find a way to fit in.

I'm rooting for you. :th:

Ummmmm, who is ChurchGuy? Churchman / Rob, I've met. Nice guy, sounds just like the guy you describe. ;)

So you and I were typing at the same time. I commend your effort, just checking the facts.

Carry on

Excellent post, Michael...:th:.......that is what I have grown to know and love about this place over the 12 years I have been here, and do my best to not only contribute to the community in the small ways that I can, but also to encourage others to do the same.....:)

KOQ,

You hit the nail on the head. Its one of the reason I only visit this site and as some would say I "way too many post here".

When I started on SOL my kids referred to them as my invisible internet friends and slowing over the years we have become close friends. Many I keep in contact with phone calls or text messages on a weekly basis. Others I see on my trips back east. They are good people, even some who act like arses on line will do pretty much anything for a friend in need.

This place is a community. I hang out in the Rhody forum or the plug building forum as much as I do the west coast forum. I guess you could say I did not come here just for the BST forum. LOL

Well put! :clap:

I have also been the recipient of SOL generosity many times over the years, including a set of kids gold clubs, a surf board for my daughter, a huge box of Thomas the Train stuff, a tripod for a spotting scope, a nice reel for a spare rod to name a few. But the friendships - although long distant - and prayers in time of need are the greatest rewards I have received. :)