Limbaugh rebuffs attempt by Sleep Train to get him back

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

So, is this actually true or do you think it's BS PR coming from the Rush camp>

Limbaugh rebuffs attempt by Sleep Train to get him back

By Dale Kasler

dkasler@sacbee.com

Published: Thursday, Mar. 8, 2012 - 4:40 pm

The rift between Sleep Train Mattress Centers and Rush Limbaugh apparently became permanent today after Limbaugh reportedly turned aside the Sacramento retailer's attempt at a truce.

Limbaugh rebuffed Sleep Train's request that the controversial radio host resume his duties as a paid spokesman for the company.

Sleep Train stopped advertising on Limbaugh's show after he called a law student advocating for birth control coverage at Georgetown University a "****" and a "prostitute" over her stance on contraception. The retailer said it can't "condone such negative comments directed toward any person."

Limbaugh, through his spokesman Brian Glicklich, turned aside Sleep Train's attempts to resume advertising on the show.

"Unfortunately, your public comments were not well received by our audience, and did not accurately portray either Rush Limbaugh's character or the intent of his remarks. Thus, we regret to inform you that Rush will be unable to endorse Sleep Train in the Future."

Dale Carlsen, head of Sleep Train, issued a statement saying: "We confirm that Rush Limbaugh will no longer be one of Sleep Train's radio endorsers."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/08/4323061/limbaugh-rebuffs-attempt-by-sleep.html#storylink=cpy

Yep, His advertisers know their audience. It aint women, or minorities or anyone else who isn't a white, middle-aged male. So why stay away? That's just bad business.

Yep, His advertisers know their audience. It aint women, or minorities or anyone else who isn't a white, middle-aged male. So why stay away? That's just bad business.

It's called marketing to a niche. It's not "bad" or "good." It's his target market.

If this is true, they've not only pissed off Rush supporters for pulling their ads, they've also managed to piss off those who applauded them for it by groveling back to him.

Sleep Train is small potatos. Were it a big, national advertiser with $$$$$ in advertising...I don't think he would have rebuffed them. I believe they are regional and good example to be made of. Too funny. But I said last week this would happen.

This whole Rush thing will be an interesting case study in many college's advertiisng/marketing classes. :)

I'm in the market for a new mattress. One of my possible choices was Sleep Number, who also threw Rush under the bus. They're no longer on my list, and I let them know why. I'm using my power as a consumer to boycott the cowards who cravenly flinch at every little bump in the road. 'Eff them. :squid:

Well at least a dozen or so Limbaugh haters here had a fun week. I have to smile at haters who somehow know all about him and yet dont listen to his show. Guess the "information" they get comes from the same press that just yesterday admitted they hid obama videos from the American voters last election.

Things that make ya go "hmmm...."

Well at least a dozen or so Limbaugh haters here had a fun week. I have to smile at haters who somehow know all about him and yet dont listen.

Well, yeah but you gots' to give them peeps their props for getting those Sorosian Media Matters talking points down pat. That's always sumpthin'. ;)

One of the ongoing dynamics of the PG forum. 'Moderates' breathlessly reporting on or deriding Hannity or Limbaugh after claiming at one time or another that they don't listen. :D

One of the ongoing dynamics of the PG forum. 'Moderates' breathlessly reporting on or deriding Hannity or Limbaugh after claiming at one time or another that they don't listen. :D

Well I don't listen to Limbaugh (and in fact, learned about the Sandra Fluke thing right here on SOL - before going on to read the full story and watch the fallout unfold right out of Obama's ass)...but I do watch Hannity every night and think he's pretty much spot on most of the time

Sleep Train 'currently’ bags Limbaugh after long run

By Erik Wemple

Rush Limbaugh, governed by “advertising and audience.” (AP Photo/Las Vegas News Bureau, Brian Jones) (Brian Jones - AP) Rush Limbaugh’s calling a Georgetown University law student a “****” has proven a threshold moment for the folks at Sleep Train. They won’t stand for that.

“As a diverse company, Sleep Train does not condone such negative comments directed toward any person. We have currently pulled our ads with Rush Limbaugh.”

Not so sure you need to be a diverse company to scorn Limbaugh’s comments, but the move appears to mark a significant departure from the company’s business practices.

This afternoon I posed the following question to Jennifer K. Ritchie, a spokesperson for Sleep Train: How long has Sleep Train been an advertiser on the Limbaugh program? Her answer: “More than 25 years.”

Which is to say that the Limbaugh show could be termed a founding advertiser of Sleep Train. From the company’s website: “Founded in 1985 by Dale Carlsen, Sleep Train is an employee owned company and is ranked the #1 mattress retailer on the West Coast, with more than 90 California locations that span from Northern California to San Diego.”

A 2006 story in the Sacramento Bee tells how Sleep Train and Limbaugh linked up:

Not long after opening his store, a radio ad salesman with a Sacramento station convinced [Dale Carlsen] to let a local talk show host be Sleep Train’s spokesman.

“The ad guy said, 'Now he’s a little bit controversial, but he needs a bed, would you take care of him?’” Carlsen said in a 2005 interview. “I needed every sale that I could get at that time, so I said, 'Yeah, bring him in and I’ll take care of him.’ “

Now, 20 years later, Rush Limbaugh still does Sleep Train spots, as do a host of other radio personalities up and down the dial.

Another story in the Bee noted that when Limbaugh moved to New York, he reserved a spot for Sleep Train on his priority list. “When he left town he said, 'The people you meet on the way up are the people you meet on the way down. I’ll always take care of you,’“ Carlsen told the Bee.

That history may explain the fine print in Sleep Train’s statement. Take a good look — the company doesn’t say it’s done for good with Limbaugh; it says only that it has “currently” suspended its advertising.

As a veteran supporter of the Limbaugh product, Sleep Train may have developed an understanding of how these Limbaugh outrage plumes have a way of collapsing after a news cycle or two. The Limbaugh brand, after all, has marched onward despite and/or because of his ability to offend again and again. Last year, according to the Associated Press, a California lawmaker “rallied civil rights groups in a boycott of companies like Pro Flowers, Sleep Train and Domino’s Pizza” after Limbaugh went on an offensive rant mimicking Chinese President Hu Jintao, who Limbaugh said “was just going ching chong, ching chong cha.”

I asked Sleep Train for more information on how it has reacted to other Limbaugh indiscretions and haven’t heard back just yet.

It’s tempting to lash out at a company that has come this far with Limbaugh. To still be doing business with a guy who mocked Michael J. Fox’s Parkinson’s disease and smeared the spectrum of minority groups and honorable individuals (think Donovan McNabb) speaks to a certain tolerance for envelope pushing.

Yet doing the right thing, even belatedly, is an act worth crediting. Well-crafted expressions of outrage from the usual organs, after all, won’t stop Rush Limbaugh. But Sleep Train, in its own way, has more power. As the radio host told Marc Fisher for his 2007 book, “Something in the Air“: “I am governed by advertising and audience.”