Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Cooler Rack Clearance?

32 posts in this topic

When I put my rack on my Wrangler they said I should have 12" to !4" off the ground. No problem with the ruts. Park it in your driveway and see what you have.

I am at 10.5" in the driveway and that's with empty coolers. If I fill the coolers and air down, it's probably going to approach half of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leatherface View Post

I am at 10.5" in the driveway and that's with empty coolers. If I fill the coolers and air down, it's probably going to approach half of that.

In my opinion to low.  Mine is 16"also I have mine at an angle so when I load it with ice and bait it levels off. ( higher on front side of cooler).

When you pull the rack out it has a tendency to pull front end down. I have seen trucks with Z bend in the 2" square tubing that supports the cooler rack. I would try a 5" offset. If I could draw it I would.  Hope this helps. If not I will try again.

In my opinion to low.  Mine is 16"also I have mine at an angle so when I load it with ice and bait it levels off. ( higher on front side of cooler).

When you pull the rack out it has a tendency to pull front end down. I have seen trucks with Z bend in the 2" square tubing that supports the cooler rack. I would try a 5" offset. If I could draw it I would.  Hope this helps. If not I will try again.

I know what you mean. Maybe something to this effect? I think if I have to go with this design, I am going to have Vezco weld everything to the rack as one piece so it is still solid.

[ATTACHMENT=4966]IMG_0147.JPG (985k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

ill post a picture up of what i had a local welder fab up for me. its not the best picture but it should help.

^ thats basically what it looks like. it is 2 in square tubing with rounded edges and 5/8" thick steel.

[ATTACHMENT=4966]IMG_0147.JPG (985k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

ill post a picture up of what i had a local welder fab up for me. its not the best picture but it should help.

^ thats basically what it looks like. it is 2 in square tubing with rounded edges and 5/8" thick steel.

What was the cost to have something like that made?

i wanna say around $100-$150 maybe alittle more. i cant remember for the life of me right now. The guy i worked with was great he drilled holes in it for me and added in supports in the corners for extra strength. after i got it i sprayed painted it to keep the rust down and make it look nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassslayer92 View Post

Thanks  Bassslayer92 for the drawing and picture.

post-64427-14230799861115_thumb.jpg

[img=

p><p>  <a href=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3295705/width/600/height/448' alt='448'>

the pencil is just so you can get idea of size so. these should give you a good idea of what you need. notice the corner pieces for extra support and strength.

i don't know why the last image isn't rotating i cant figure it out sorry

Thanks for the photos! I am going to head over to the shop next week and see what they say! :th:

After I got halfway down the beach, I pulled off to a flat spot to check the height with the lowered air pressure. I found some sand on the front of the rack, so I knew it was plowing at one point. I will be on the beach again this weekend for my second run and take a few more measurements in the ruts as well.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3298794/width/600/height/450]

why not just put it in the rear (that's what she said) ... probably have much more ground clearance. I know it's not what everyone else does and it doesn't look as 'cool'  but would work . always could have saved a couple hundred and just put the coolers in the bed of the truck and stuck the rods in pvc

why not just put it in the rear (that's what she said) ... probably have much more ground clearance. I know it's not what everyone else does and it doesn't look as 'cool'  but would work . always could have saved a couple hundred and just put the coolers in the bed of the truck and stuck the rods in pvc

couple reasons ..

first you can't see it while you are driving . that means you can't keep an eye on things ....

second there is a lot of sand kicked up from the rear tires , winds up all over everything .....

The bed of my truck is very small (5'). When I go to the beach with the family, which is usually Saturday, Sunday and sometimes a weeknight here and there, I have a lot of stuff to bring. I bring a grill, portable bathroom, table, chairs, etc... So it's a real pain loading coolers in the bed. Takes up a lot of room. If I put the rack on the back of the truck, I can't open the tailgate and I have to lift everything over the sides. I don't like that either.

Also, I make a lot of trips out to the North Fork and I also bring bikes. I would rather get rear-ended with my bike rack on the back then with my $1,000 rack back there. At least with it in the front, I can control my distance from another vehicle.

I know everyone has their preferences and to some it does look cool, but for me it is also practical in more ways than one. :D

couple reasons ..

first you can't see it while you are driving . that means you can't keep an eye on things ....

second there is a lot of sand kicked up from the rear tires , winds up all over everything .....

Didn't even think of the sand issue. :th: