Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Cooler Rack Clearance?

32 posts in this topic

What's yours? Does it stay well above the sand when driving in deep ruts?

I am a little worried about mine hitting sand when I get into some of the deeper ruts in the softer sand. I was thinking of just installing spacers in the front of my truck to lift it about 2". I only test fit it once in my driveway and did not take an actual measurement from the driveway to the bottom of the rack. Maybe this weekend I will do that to get an idea of what I am working with.

I know I can always have Vezco restructure the 2"stock to lift it up, but I don't want to spend too much. I am assuming the 3-cooler rack loaded adds at least 150 pounds to the front?

Thanks!

Bob

I am going to throw it on the truck sometime next week and bring it to Vezco. They need to push it about 2" more from the front bumper to fit my spike mount, so I'll see what they say.

you also need to be concerned about how much of the rod but hangs below the tubes unless you have a pin in the tube to keep the rods from hanging out below.

you also need to be concerned about how much of the rod but hangs below the tubes unless you have a pin in the tube to keep the rods from hanging out below.

I was thinking about that as well.. Once I throw the rack on again, I am going to check that out. I think the tubes are pretty long and I hope that will not be another issue to deal with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catch This View Post

The pin is secondary.  The rods have to sit in the rubber or plastic holders or they will bounce all over.  Longer tubes.  Rods should not hang out of the bottom.

The pin is secondary.  The rods have to sit in the rubber or plastic holders or they will bounce all over.  Longer tubes.  Rods should not hang out of the bottom.

Yes.. I believe the way Vezco made it is fine. The tubes are pretty long .

the more forward you push the rack the less clearance your going to have.

I think they are going to push it out about 2", to allow just enough clearance for the sand spikes. I'll throw in 2" spacers in the front and I "should" be good.

I figured it's going to be another $200! $65 for the spacer kit, $75 for a new alignment and about $70 for Vezco to push the rack out.

Time to sell a few things! :D

OK.. First test run this past weekend went well. I do think I am going to have to raise the front of the truck a couple of inches. There were a few spots where the ruts were deep and the bottom the rack plowed the sand a little and that was driving with empty coolers.