Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DreamsOfHatteras

Variations on a theme (Electric Chicken)

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Heading to NC for a few days to fish the salt with some family, so knocked out a quick batch of spooks for the cousins. Hoping the Reds and Specks are agreeable, even though it's a bit early. Figured I would see how many different ways I could find to paint Electric Chicken, a popular color down here for said species. Here are the results. Some got a little far afield, but overall happy with the results and figuring out the "alien skin" looking airbrush technique I've seen a few folks use. Did the muskyslayer 3x coats of Etex...absolutely nerve wracking... :scared: not sure yet if it's worth the stress lol. Per usual, thanks to everyone who's helped me get here, whether through direct interaction or inspirational posts.

Still not happy with the plug photography...gotta figure out how to get them to look as good in the pic as they do in my hands...

DOH,

From here there is no doubt it was worth it (3x e-tex) Those are absolutely CRAZY COOL. Man thank you for the post...First thing I got to see before trudging off to work! Beautiful work Noel

MS

Good stuff Noel! How do you adjust the weight to account for 3 coats of clear? Have a great trip to NC. We wanna see some fish on custom DOH plugs when you return :D

Jigman

Those are absolutely killer! Do you use the different layers of etex to separate the layers of paint? Awesome job, I gotta start having more fun with my paint.

Thanks guys for the compliments...always makes my day a little nicer..

Andrew - Educated Guesstimation! :D Thats my answer and I'm sticking to it. I considered it while designing this one (slightly different version from normal...thicker in the main section, a little more taper towards the tail); the prototype was built with just 2 rattle chambers for weight, figured it would be a tad too light/not enough angle, tested it and it worked great. Made a gamble/estimation that the 3x coats of clear would have greater impact on the tail section (less surface area) than the main body (more surface area) and give me a little more angle. Turns out I was correct, all (but one) walk well, nice and wide, and rattle like a snake. I'm planning on dissecting the one with issues to figure out what happened so it doesn't happen again.

Mike - no separation, each color is painted directly on top of the other color/pattern once it's set with a heat gun. So, if'n ya screw up, it's back to square one. But when you are doing wierd not-quite-trying-to-look-like-a-fish stuff, screw ups aren't really screw ups and could be happy accidents (nice term I learned during my studio recording days). I'm just glad fish still eat some of my creations...maybe they figure they should eat the alien baitfish before they get beamed up...:kook: