Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gherb05

Sealing finished pencil popper question.....

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Just wanted too see if anyone has suggestions on how to seal a finished pencil popper that was given as a gift......don't want to be slinging 3 lbs of soaked wood. The outside is finished but when I look at where it's wired through it's not sealed. Thanks

give them a quick soak in spar urethane,depends on the wood if you don't seal them right you'll loose some of the action after a while,because the plug will be soaked with water and you'll be running the risk of the wood swelling,water reaching the paint and it'll be a mess.

soak them in spar,wipe down,hang it for about a week to make sure they nice and dry,and paint and coat.

The outside is finished

give them a quick soak in spar urethane,depends on the wood if you don't seal them right you'll loose some of the action after a while,because the plug will be soaked with water and you'll be running the risk of the wood swelling,water reaching the paint and it'll be a mess.

soak them in spar,wipe down,hang it for about a week to make sure they nice and dry,and paint and coat.

He said the plug is already built. Hope he didn't run out and coat every thing up with spar.;)

The plug is what it is and just because you don't see a sealer in the holes doesn't mean its not sealed. The stuff I use is invisible when dry.

Use it the way it is and beat it up. That's what pencils are for. If you want to get anal herb get some epoxy and blow it in the front hole. I would not suggest using any glue type in the belly hole. As you will screw up the swivel.

The outside is finished

He said the plug is already built. Hope he didn't run out and coat every thing up with spar.;)

The plug is what it is and just because you don't see a sealer in the holes doesn't mean its not sealed. The stuff I use is invisible when dry.

Use it the way it is and beat it up. That's what pencils are for. If you want to get anal herb get some epoxy and blow it in the front hole. I would not suggest using any glue type in the belly hole. As you will screw up the swivel.

darn,thanks winch,didn't get that for a second. :D

Just the way it was written, I was thinking right along your lines as a quick way to do a blank for someone who was starting with a kit. Then I started reading his post and luckily I read the last line and it dawned on me that the plug was completed. Many woods also have a natural water resistance oil to them and really don't need a sealer. Besides if a pencil last me more than a week or two I'm not fishing hard enough. LOL