Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yj1990

carp

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

I saw some 30# carp today down at the local river, might try to catch them one of these days. whats the best way to catch them this time of year? corn, doughballs potatoes? snagger? be fun to snag on in the tail and hold on

I had great luck with a white curly tailed grub fished slowly.

very awesome, never caught one on a lure before...

as for the bait...if they are there and you can see them then anything you mentioned would work. Where i fish i like to go the day before/couple days before and i set some corn/oatmeal out to set a base. Then i will fish with corn/oatmeal/bread when i go. My favorite is corn, but its more because of the quick hook you can put on them

good luck, some big carp in Haverhill

I just saw some photos of carp taken in Mass. last month. Some in the 20 lb. range, one 36 lb. There are some great web sites for carp fishing info, and some good Youtube videos as well. No need to be fancy though - dough balls and maize/corn will catch carp.

A friend and I used to catch some in near by river that was no more than a few yards wide. All we used was wonder bread. Nearly all the carp we caught was sight fished. We caught some that might have hit 20#s but some of the ones we saw were well over 30.

Its really exciting to watch a behemoth carp approach your bait. They're very easily spooked in those small rivers though.

this is a large river and it is and there was a guy casting around them and they keep milling around he didnt even know they were there till i let him look through my sun glasses boy did is eyes light up, it was funy. he was fishing for smallies

Believe it or not, wheaties make(s) great carp bait. Take two handfuls, dip in water, squeeze and knead until it forms a stiff dough. Then punch a well in the center of the gob with your thumb and fill it up with maple syrup (the fake stuff, not the real thing). Knead some more, then cover a #4 or #6 treble hook with a ball of the dough. No sinker needed unless current encountered. I usually fish these with the bail open because when a carp takes the bait, they can go fast

Anyone hit the Blackstone in Mass for carp? I've got one spot in mind but willing to hear about more. PMs happily exhanged! ;)

-bd