Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BranfordJeff

Lottery winner on food stamps: 'I thought maybe it was okay because I'm not working'

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Quote:

Lottery winner on food stamps: 'I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working’

While most people have played the “if I had a million dollars I would ____ ” thought game, few fill that blank in with “stay on public assistance.”

Amanda Clayton, a 24-year-old from Lincoln Park, Michigan, is one of the few who does, and she is getting away with it. Clayton won $1 million from the Michigan State Lottery this fall, but she is still collecting and using $200 a month in food assistance from the taxpayers with her Michigan Bridge Card.

“I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn’t, I thought maybe it was okay because I’m not working,” the lottery winner who just purchased a new house and car told Local 4 in Detroit. The station even filmed her shamelessly purchasing goods.

When Local 4 asked if she felt she had a right to the money, Clayton responded, “I mean I kinda do.”

Clayton justified the sentiment by explaining that after taking her winnings in a lump sum and having to pay taxes, the total amount was just over half of the initial winnings.

“I feel that it’s okay because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay,” she said. “I have two houses.”

A bill to prevent this type of behavior, sponsored by state Republican Rep. Dale Zorn has passed the state House, as has a companion bill in the state Senate.

Public assistance should be given to those who are in need of public assistance, not those who have found riches,” said Zorn, who has sponsored a bill requiring the state to cross-check the names of lottery winners of prizes over $1,000 with names of individuals on the dole.

Until Clayton is cut off, however, she says she intends to continue to use her benefits.

Pig

So what surprises you the most, that she was dumb enough to take take the lump sum versus an annual income! Hey, then she could........................................... ! Or was it her decision to buy a second home? Or the notion that she could collect food stamps while pissing away $500,000 on crap. Which is worse ; that she is dumb or a cheat?

As I stated in the other thread, look for the State of Michigan getting reimbursed for past payments to the welfare queen. This ain't over by a long shot. This lowlife POS is going to get hers. :th:

not for nothing but should STATE lottery crosswalk with other STATE databases every time someone wins any lotto money? what if a guy that owes 10k in back taxes wins some money etc :bucktooth:

not for nothing but should STATE lottery crosswalk with other STATE databases every time someone wins any lotto money? what if a guy that owes 10k in back taxes wins some money etc :bucktooth:

All states should, many states do. If you owe back child support, the lottery will garnish your winnings for it. Welfare should be on the list, as well.