Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

Students at Alamo Heights High School, Texas Chanted U.S.A... U.S.A & were...

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

One of the most interesting aspects of this indecent is the statement from school officials that "...the students identified will also have to apologize and have been banned from the state title games".

So they're not only using threats and abusing their power to silence these students....But it also appears that they have, or soon will, use threats (which I assume center around the student having his or her academic future destroyed), in an attempt to force these students into making public statements in support of "government approved thought".

Very interesting. cwm15.gif

As KENS reports, Alamo Heights' celebration went sour a few minutes after the final whistle when certain members of the school's fan section began the "USA" chant. Alamo Heights boys basketball coach Andrew Brewer moved quickly to end the chanting, but the damage was already done. San Antonio (Texas) Edison High School - whose student body is 96 percent Hispanic - filed a complaint about the incident with the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas public high school extracurricular activities.

"I appreciate Coach Brewer taking the action he took to stop it," San Antonio Independent School District athletics director Gil Garza told KENS. "Our kids try real hard and work extra hard to get to the regional tournament, and then we have to worry about them being subjected to this kind of insensitivity."

"To be attacked about your ethnicity and being made to feel that you don't belong in this country is terrible. Why can't people just applaud our kids? It just gets old and I'm sick of it. Once again, we're on pins and needles wondering what's going to happen."

The incident overshadowed what should have been a huge achievement for Alamo Heights. They earned their first berth in the state basketball tournament in 21 years after their 50-39 victory over Edison.

"Obviously we were disappointed that this happened," Alamo Heights superintendent Kevin Brown told KENS. "That's not who we are as a community and that's not who we are as a school. It's not something that's acceptable for us. Our kids are very respectable. We have to remember that they're teenagers, and kids make mistakes."

Brown adds that there will be "consequences" for students identified as participating in the chant. KENS reports that students tied to the chanting have already been banned from attending the team's state semifinal against Dallas (Texas) Kimball High on Thursday.

"We have tried to use this as a teachable moment for them," Brown said. "We have talked to our students. We've taken responsibility for it, although what happened is not representative of everybody who was there."

Let me see if I get this straight. Aren't "Americans" a mixture of various backgrounds like German, French, Japenese, Chinese, Hindu, Jewish, catholic, etc, etc, etc, and even Mexican. America, love it or leave it.

Holy good lord help all of these sensitive little girls... Give me a break already... Are people kidding me or what? Are we Americans anymore? FREEDOM

Let me see if I get this straight. Aren't "Americans" a mixture of various backgrounds like German, French, Japenese, Chinese, Hindu, Jewish, catholic, etc, etc, etc, and even Mexican. America, love it or leave it.

i'm sure their pushback would be why would you chant USA when the game was between two american HS's

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugeDinghy View Post

i'm sure their pushback would be why would you chant USA when the game was between two american HS's

exactly,

it's a win-win form of taunting.

you get to do it,

then you get to hop on a high horse and be incredulous that anyone would be upset by chanting USA.

it doesn't seem to me that "Patriotism" was the motivation for the chant.

but it's a well constructed jab.

exactly,

it's a win-win form of taunting.

you get to do it,

then you get to hop on a high horse and be incredulous that anyone would be upset by chanting USA.

it doesn't seem to me that "Patriotism" was the motivation for the chant.

but it's a well constructed jab.

Yup, two sides to every story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugeDinghy View Post

talking to the wrong guy, I think ethnicity should be made fun of as much as possible...

oh I am with you,

I am addressing the "Who Me" innocent act.

If you are chanting "USA USA" when everyone knows you mean "Mexican Go Home" then the phony shock of being punished for patriotism rubs me the wrong way.

just own what you did and move on.