Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Beach vehicles and natural gas

12 posts in this topic

Chrysler is to start selling Ram 2500 HD pickups powered by natural gas. There will be a small tank for gasoline, to start the combustion process, and then it'll be NG. The intended market is apparently fleet operators, perhaps because it's expected that they'll have their own NG stations (???)

A Ram 2500 is certainly a beachworthy vehicle, if 4x4. Does anyone here have experience with NG powered vehicles, especially 4x4 ones?

well until they find another place to mount the tak besides in the bed of the truck , they are useless to me !

( can't get the camper in the bed with a tank there )

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf View Post

well until they find another place to mount the tak besides in the bed of the truck , they are useless to me !

( can't get the camper in the bed with a tank there )

I saw a 1 ton with the tank mounted over the cab.

I could smell gas,I suppose it was not enough to be dangerous,but still...

The father of one of my roomates in college back in 83 had a truck that ran on either LP or NG don't remember which. Started it with regular gasoline and then after a few minutes switched it over. All the propane trucks that deliver the propane tanks around here run on propane

We have a few Honda NG cars here at work, I drove one around for a couple of days last month, it seemed very sluggish & it needed to be refilled after about 150 miles of driving (local in NYC).

I was told we would be getting more NG vehicles because NG's equivalent cost to gasoline = about $2.25 per gallon.

I wonder what the range/payload tradeoffs with NG? It might be cheaper per mile but permit only limited miles per tank; I suspect so.

Natural gas is less energy dense than gasoline. So you need much bigger tanks or get less range.

Well, it might be a specialty item, best for delivery firms and such that can maintain their own central filling station.

$2.25/gallon equivalent is mighty appealing.

My understanding is that if you want to fuel the Honda Civic GX from your home natural gas, you need to have a high pressure fueling station installed at a cost of several thousand dollars. And unfortunately the expensive pump only lasts five years.

Ouch. Fleet operators presumably buy pricier pumps with better lifetimes.

That would be my assumption. One other issue with the Honda GX is that the home refueling station takes several hours to fill the tank. Fleet stations run at higher pressures and fill much faster.