Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muskyslayer96

What type of leader and connectors for pike, walleye, LMB, musky, SMB?

7 posts in this topic

Hey fellas,

Almost all of my fishing is trolling for eyes in the spring and then musky fishing with heavy gear. I'm branching out this year and i'm going to fish the river system as well as kayak.

I have a new Sahara 4000 reel on a heavy St. Croix Tidemaster (7' rod with 20lb suffix 832 braid. I will be throwing larger cranks, WTD and subsurface baits (not full musky sized) so I'm wondering on the best leader and size of swivel/connectors. I'm thinking 30lb fluorocarbon (making my own), but what size for the hardware? I'm targeting a lot of diff species, but I know the saltwater guys have to rig for tuna, snook, redfish, tarpon etc.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,

MS

My crankbait rod has mono, the rest have fireline. Depending on the water color and lure I am throwing, I may or may not use a leader. Clear water, I typically use a 6 foot leader of fluro (12-20#). Uni-uni knot to connect to the fireline (10-20#). Jigs, spinnerbaits, buzz baits, soft plastics, I tie direct. Cranks, topwaters, jerkbaits and similar, I use a snap. This is for stripers, hybrid stripers, LM, and smallies.

Jigman

My crankbait rod has mono, the rest have fireline. Depending on the water color and lure I am throwing, I may or may not use a leader. Clear water, I typically use a 6 foot leader of fluro (12-20#). Uni-uni knot to connect to the fireline (10-20#). Jigs, spinnerbaits, buzz baits, soft plastics, I tie direct. Cranks, topwaters, jerkbaits and similar, I use a snap. This is for stripers, hybrid stripers, LM, and smallies.

Jigman

You ever get a jig snagged and not be able to break the fireline?

You ever get a jig snagged and not be able to break the fireline?

Yep, that is another reason to use a fluro leader. The leader will break and I just lose the jig.

Jigman

Yep, that is another reason to use a fluro leader. The leader will break and I just lose the jig.

Jigman

I know, that is why I asked. I can't stand when people tie direct then get snagged and just cut there braid so it stays in the water for someone else to get snagged on. Only time I would ever tie direct is when im throwing frogs.

30lbs? try nothing under 80. I use minimum 100 lbs seagur fluoro with 200lbs stay-lock snaps. any decent fish let alone any 30" fish can and WILL break 30lbs fluoro no problem then you lose your bait and that fish more than likely dies....do yourself and the rest of the anglers who fish for esox a favor and dont cheap out on terminal tackle, these things are powerful and ive seen them unwind snaps, 200 lbs O rings and straighten 7/0 hooks.