Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlurpleHaze

Buying my dad a gift..Reel advice please.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi everything, first of all i would like to say hi that im new to the forums and live out in NJ and my dad is fishing crazy and works hard all week and waits for the weekend to take the long trip out to RI for togging and cod fishing and etc.

My dad doesnt like to spend alot of money so i can see sometime him using cheap reels and gears so i wanna give him a nice gift.

I want to get my dad a decent reel and want to know what i need to get since i already bought the Shinmano torium 20 but relieazed my dad needs a left hand retrieve so i proably gonna return it. And get him a better reel.

So after reading this forum and doing some research i know that my dad does alot boat fishing for blackfish and cods so it came out to the Saltist 20h or Saltiga 15 or 20 but i cant find those in Left handed other than the saltiga 30l which is little to big i think and little more than what im trying to spend..

So i came down to Daiwa Luna 300L.

Will this fit my dads needs? How does this compare to the saltist 20h? Would this fit his needs for the lines he uses and fishes he catches?

Any help would be very helpful.. My dad goes fishing to RI Block Island i think and goes on those big party boats for togging mostly but goes every weekend for any fishing for the season.

Whats the best all around reel for him at under $300 reel.

Thank you

PS:Would buying the Saltiga 30L be worth the extra cost and the size wont be too big for his needs? Thanks!

I posted this on the RI section too please delete that thread if its not allowed. Sorry.

Welcome to SOL. This is a great thing you are doing. Sorry but I do not do the type of fishing that you are asking about so the only advice I could give would be for you to consider a gift card to a business that sells the reels he might be interested in and let him pick out his own reel.

I would stick with the Daiwa Luna 300L. Its a baitcasting reel that has a ton of pop to it, can definately handle some decent sized fish. Levelwind reels for the ol man will suit him fine too. The extra $ for the Saltiga to me isnt even worth it and I am sure he would prefer a star drag reel over a lever drag reel. If you want a reel that is similar check out the Penn International baitcasters, the 975 would do it all for him too.

The Luna and the Penn International Reels will get the job done, but just to throw another one into the mix you can also take a look at the Shimano Calcutta 400. Its a tad bit smaller than the Luna 300 but the Calcutta series have some guts, plus they are backed by a company with a great reputation for wonderful customer service. The price for the Calcutta 400 is $229.99 so its a little cheaper, but its definitely not made cheaper than the others.

*nevermind* I completely forgot that your dad needed a lefty version. The only Calcutta made right now in the lefty version is the 200 which is too small for what he wants to do with it.

Which hand does he reel with? Even I get mixed up when talking about righty vs lefty in switching from spinning to casting. He reels with his left hand with a baitcaster, correct?

I own 3 Saltist 20h and I have caught everything from tog to cod to tuna on it and they are great. I also own Newells the 220, 229. 235 all the P series and the are great as well.

Hope that helps good luck! :)