Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieB

Ideas to connect a rod leash

37 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I've been thinking of finding a better way to attach a spinning rod to a leash. Right now, I just use a wire wrap to the reel foot. The problem is interference while reeling. Lately I've been thinking of shrink wrapping a wire (or bungie) loop to the bottom of the rod.

Thoughts?

What are you guys doing?

Thanks.

pull the rod butt of the rod. poke a hole in the center of butt. make a loop with some nylon cord .slip through the hole u made on butt cap. glue back in place make a big knot so it doesn't slip though hole.

Why do you use a rod leash to begin with? Ive never used one in 20 years and have never lost a rod. The simpler you keep your yak set up the better.

I was thinking if I drop my rod overboard, a leash may make the recovery effort "simpler" :scuba:

I was thinking if I drop my rod overboard, a leash may make the recovery effort "simpler" :scuba:

Have you dropped a lot of rods overboard in your years of fishing? If you keep your kayak simple with less stuff in the way and keep your rod short you wont drop it overboard. Break it maybe. Ive broken 1/2 dozen rods kayak fishing but never dropped one. In and out through the surf might be diferent story. But even then I would remove the leash once through the surf and activly fishing.

Have you dropped a lot of rods overboard in your years of fishing? If you keep your kayak simple with less stuff in the way and keep your rod short you wont drop it overboard. Break it maybe. Ive broken 1/2 dozen rods kayak fishing but never dropped one. In and out through the surf might be diferent story. But even then I would remove the leash once through the surf and activly fishing.

I almost dropped one last Spring. I am all for keeping things less cluttered in the yak.

The simplest rod/paddle leash is a 3 foot section of 1/8" rope with a clip on one end and a noose not on the other. Clip it to a pad eye when it is in use and adjust the noose to go around the paddle or the rod.

I sometimes have as many as 4 rods aboard my 9' yak. Only 2 are in a fishing position at a time. I keep 2 handy and 2 locked down with a bungee. I never used a rod leash or a paddle leash. If I am bait fishing, I sometimes lash my paddle down with a bungee.

Paddle leashes are a constant source of tangles that just about defeat even the best fly fisherman.

I'd be better off with just one rod and I often go with just one. When Tarpon are around, I absolutely must have a Tarpon capable rig aboard because no other fish excites me like a Tarpon. My Ambassadeur Record 60 is a great choice for any fishing I do. Rigged correctly, it will handle anthing I am apt to mess with.

KISS--Keep It Simple,Stupid!

Wow, not much agreement on this. Like barrell I have never used a rod leash and never lost a rod. But I was with a friend when he dumped and got tangled in the rod leashes. He had to cut them with a knife. It's a calculated risk.

I also had a friend lose a paddle on a windy day and had to swim with his kayak half a mile to shore. Not fun! I always use a paddle leash and have never gotten tangled in it, even fly fishing. I use a simple heavy cord, with a snap to attach it to the kayak and velcro around the paddle. Easy and cheap. I detach in the surf.

This is great. We hear from drysuit users that say they can keep fishing

after they dump on open water.......yet they don't like the leash. Their own words. Lol

I does happen though.

I keep everything leashed when not in use.

Last year however I got swamped by a bunch of drunken kids on a 21' CC in long island sound.

They thought it was fun get within 50 ft and kick up a monster wash to flip me.

Lost a $300 rod and reel ( the one I was using ) in the process. :mad:

If the rest of it wasn't leashed I would have lost it all.

You can prepare for " accidents" but you can't prevent them all.

Better safe than sorry, but it's your choice.

I does happen though.

I keep everything leashed when not in use.

Last year however I got swamped by a bunch of drunken kids on a 21' CC in long island sound.

They thought it was fun get within 50 ft and kick up a monster wash to flip me.

Lost a $300 rod and reel ( the one I was using ) in the process. :mad:

If the rest of it wasn't leashed I would have lost it all.

You can prepare for " accidents" but you can't prevent them all.

Better safe than sorry, but it's your choice.

I had someone do the same thing , cutting real close in a big boat. The 2nd time I snapped a quick pic.

Went home and blew it up to see the numbers. Since it was a big boat and most likely not trailered, the hunt was on. I found it when I was walking my dog at the local marina . Gotcha ya buddy! And I'll stop there .

I used to use homemade leashes from phone charger cords. Now I use bungee that you can get at Westmarine. I don't have as many problems with my fly line this way.

I only us them while in transit or trolling not while casting. S**t can happen.

Back to the OP, I use small plastic d rings with Velcro wrapped around a couple of times. When not in use the d ring kind of folds over, flat against the rod.

Love em or hate em - they'll save your gear from permanent entombment in Davy Jones' locker.

A company called YakLeash makes them out of recycled junk.

Easy to clip and un-clip.

Could be the solution you seek, or at least give you a few ideas.

This is great. We hear from drysuit users that say they can keep fishing

after they dump on open water.......yet they don't like the leash. Their own words. Lol

My spare rods are in my hatch. Never had to do it, but if I lose a rod because it had no leash, I just take out another.

Give it a rest. ;)