Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ktarcher

Deer hair first attempt

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Well I've seen some of you post spun deer hair on the forum and figured it was finally time to give it a shot. This is my first attempt which was met with lots of mistakes but learned enough that I have high hopes for future attempts. Thanks to all on the board for keeping me inspired and providing such awesome examples of your works.

Nice, I love mice flies, one of my fave type of flies to tie, nice deer hair spinning too, not an easy thing to do, i have it down pretty nicely but producing those crazy color combos you see in some bass bugs i cant do right.

Most of us will always be working on our deer hair spinning. I think your fly looks super fishy, and I'd love to have it in my box when i find myself in a shallow area with some largemouth bass nearby. The thing I often forget when spinning deer hair is to put forward pressure (from the rear) in addition to the back pressure when compressing/"packing" the hair. The result is that all the hair angles backward. I can't tell exactly but that might be going on in your fly

Getting real fancy lol, that looks awsome, believe it or not id prob fish the first one more than your second fly, the second looks alot better but i like to keep my bass bugs simple. The mouse 2.0 looks awsome though!

Decent work for 1st time.Just like poppers though,the details on the top are lost on the fish.They can't see all those nice spots someone painted on top of their frog popper or the whiskers,eyes and ears on your mouse.All they see is the bottom.

There's an old saying in commercial tying,"the fly has to catch the fisherman first before it catches any fish", and top details on poppers are an example of that.Put a bin of mice w/ no eye's,ears or whiskers or frogs w/o spots/eyes next to one w/ and see which sells out quicker.On the water they're gonna both catch at the same rate.

Intracoastal,if you don't have enough hair trapped under your thread you''ll get the effect you speak of.If you have enough hair it will always stand up when packed toward the bend.

There was a device that I saw somewhere to hold the deer hair(not a stacker) on the hook shank in preparation to spin.

Does anyone know offhand what it's called or who makes it? Thanks in advance. C2

Thanks for the reply:

Never say 'only'. :) This device was made and used by a person who sold them to hold the hair in place prior to spinning. It was not a stacker; per se.

From what I could tell from the description, it was a clamp which held the hair and hook shank at the same time.

In fact; several people commented at the time that they used their fingers to do the same thing.

I use my fingers now. In fact; I can tie a pretty good fly/jig without using a vise. A vise does make life easier, though. :)

I will continue my search to satisfy my curiosity.. C2

No; I haven't forgotten you!

Here is one device that stacks and clamps the hair for tying flies. It is called a hair stacker and clamper. Duh :shock: !Enjpy.

It will require a link if TimS allows it but it is to a US Patent.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5619818.pdf

Better yet: Read the text on how it works.

I'm still looking for the other one which is a clamp affair. I'm not making it up.

Eventually; I'll come across it again. Stand by!

Meanwhile; I'll continue stacking and clamping hair with my fingers. :) C2