Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RSDoull

Pick 6 patterns for the beginner

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am finishing up my trout fly supply for the season. Once that is done I hope to begin tying for stripers. If someone is new to this area of fly tying and wants to start with a small number of patterns in order to learn technique and begin acquiring materials, what 6 patterns would you suggest the newbie start out with?

Hey RSDoull, wen i started fly tying I started with saltwater flies and the two flies i started with were the clouser minnow and lefty's deciever. If your tying trout flies im sure you able to tie different flies pretty well, you might want to get a book like, Bob Popovics "Pop Fleyes" as it has lots of awsome Saltwater flies and teaches lots of cool techniques. Also teaches you how to use epoxy and silicone and teaches you about bait profile. Also I love Ken Abrames' books "striper moon" or "A perfect fish". Some lfies i'd recommend tying over time to expand your knowledge would be surf candies, siliclones, especially the pop lip which is awsome, both are Popovics' flys, flatwings, snake flies, crease flies, gurglers, and tons more. The atlantic saltwater flyrodders site has awsome fly tying videos too! Good Luck with the saltwater flies.     

For the basics, and ones that will catch consistently .

Clouser Minnow

Lefty's Deceiver

Ray's Fly

B Buzzi's EZ body sand eel ( on youtube)

Any of the " Blonde" flies

These will be a great way to start up your fly box. Then as suggested by Shinnecockfly start expanding into Flatwings, crease flies, surf candies and gurglers.

Clouser Deep Minnow

Lefty's Deceiver

Gartside Gurgler

Hollow Fleye

3 Feather Flatwing

There you go. Each pattern incorporates unique and slightly overlapping materials. Methods and techniques for these patterns should not be so foreign to you except perhaps the Hollow Fleye. All are proven fish catchers. All have a place in my box. Not to mention that combined, these patterns effectively cover nearly all of the water column.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I have been tying for about 7 months or so and I started with clousers and bangers. Go to the ASWF page and watch the videos. I have never been shown how to tie in person, only by their site and all the other free ones on you tube, here, ect. and I can tie pretty decent now. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Those suggestions have helped me come up with a materials list to get started. There's a local fly fishing expo up here at the end of the month so I will get my shopping done. Stripers seem to be a late Summer / Fall event up here so I have time to get some flys done. Appreciate the guidance, I will put up some pictures for critiques once I get to work on them.

You can cover just about any situation with an assortment of Deceivers, Clousers, sand eels (many different patterns out there pick one), Bunny fly, and Crease fly. Colors should include Olive/ White, Blue/ White, Gray/ White, all Black, and all White. Oh and dont forget the Chart/ White