Jeb Bush, anyone?

Rate this topic

BrianBM

Giving credit to Nauset, the poster who raised this as a possibility, what do the GOP posters here (or the ABO posters, if you prefer) think of Jeb Bush? I don't know enough of him to have an opinion. I don't know if he is pro or anti abortion, or birth control, or supported Obama's stimulus package, or loves high-speed rail, or what his take was on re-capitalizing the banks, or Detroit, or regulation of the financial industries, or Obama's making BP pay some upfront for the Deepwater Horizon, or whether evolution is fact or global warming exists. All of these issues are litmus tests for somebody and anyone who doesn't agree is a RINO to someone.

What do you guys think of him?

Im a fan of Jeb. Hes very much a common sense guy and while Id preder someone more conservative, Jeb is a good man with a good head on his shoulders. Hed make a fine president. Id ber that HW sheds a tear that it was George and not Jeb that got the big seat.

The mildness of Jeb's public persona is uninspiring; I prefer leaders with exceptionally forceful personalities.

A formidable president is necessary to put the country on a course of sustainable fiscal policy.

"Who is John Galt?"
Who?
You?

I like Jeb on most issues. He is also good looking, well spoken and has a PC family (hispanic). My daughter, who has lived in FL for the past 18 years, has nothing but good to say about him. I believe he would be an excellent President.

And I wouldn't vote for him with a 50 foot pole. Two Bush's are enough, just as two Kennedys would be enough, just as two Adams' were enough. I do not want ANY royal families, left, right or indifferent.

Knight, I've never considered you to be that closed minded. A good person for President would be just that...Bush name or not.

Mark

Mark,

On this I am very closed minded. When W was President, they were touting one of Jeb's sons at the 2004 convention. The nation's politics and leadership becomes the family business. And then you get families dueling for power. Remember, the Italian city states during the renessiance(?) were supposed to be republics but they wound up with families like the Medici's, the Sforsa's, the Borgia's, etc. running the show.

A family gets into politics, amasses power and money, gets more family members with the same goals and objectives, into politics, more money and power, etc. Look at the Kennedys. Do you want that family to amass power?

I'm not sure how I'd feel - I actually think he'd be a good president and I have no issues with any of the past 'Bush's'...but I do think a lot of America has such a negative view of the name 'Bush', I don't even see commercials for the baked beans that shared that name anymore (the one with the talking dog...LOL)...I just want a Republican to get in there and kick Obama's ass out of office

Speaking of the last comment - did you know that while conducting exit polls this past 'Super' Tuesday, depending on the state, the range ran between the high 80's to lo 90's in terms of percentage of voters who would gladly vote for one of the other Republican candidates if their choice didn't win the nomination...Tells me people are truly sick of this current president

My guess is that if you asked democrats after GW's first term in office if they would vote for another candidate if their's didnt win the primary you would have gotten a number that matched what is coming out of the Republican primaries. This is that election in reverse. I think there is a lot of distain for the current incumbent, but when the rubber hits the road in the real election, I would not be surprised if Obama comes out on top because the alternative choice just doesnt inspire people.

I don't think the Bush name would handicap Jeb. I don't know if he's conservative enough to please all the "conservatives," since that word covers a pretty wide range of opinions, and still be moderate enough to be electable.

Are there posters here who would find Jeb unacceptable because he opposes drilling off the coast of his home state? I'm curious. As Knight notes, Christie does, too, and he's got plenty of fans.

Rick Santorum is the candidate that the Democrats would really like, IMHO. He'd be good enough for us to pick up a dozen seats in the House. Romney may not inspire the passion that some have for this-or-that other candidate, but neither will scare off independents. His problem will be disgruntled conservatives and evangelicals who just don't like his religion ... strange world.

That doesn't bother me too much because so much of that state's wealth is centered on its tourism and beaches, etc.

Illegal drugs, too. Sorry, Knight, I couldn't resist.

PS: Are you putting a dent in the Redfish population? Did you go over to Mill Cove for the Reds and do some 'grocery fishing' for some nice specks under the Dames Point Bridge yet?

I don't think the Bush name would handicap Jeb. I don't know if he's conservative enough to please all the "conservatives," since that word covers a pretty wide range of opinions, and still be moderate enough to be electable.

Are there posters here who would find Jeb unacceptable because he opposes drilling off the coast of his home state? I'm curious. As Knight notes, Christie does, too, and he's got plenty of fans.

Rick Santorum is the candidate that the Democrats would really like, IMHO. He'd be good enough for us to pick up a dozen seats in the House. Romney may not inspire the passion that some have for this-or-that other candidate, but neither will scare off independents. His problem will be disgruntled conservatives and evangelicals who just don't like his religion ... strange world.

Yes, no drilling is a reason to oppose him. If a president did not want drilling in his home state, all the other states liberals would be screaming: "Not in our states waters either."

Cuba or its surrogates, may be drilling 45 miles off the coast of Florida in the future. There is nothing we can do about it.

Christie isn't going anywhere, the last president that looked like him, was Taft.