Rush's sponsors pulling their ads.......

Rate this topic

eddy

Group of people hear something. They don't like it. It doesn't follow what they believe in. They don't want any part of it.

Completely acceptable right?

Limbaugh's sponsors hear about Limbaugh's incident. They don't like it. It doesn't follow what they believe in. They pull their ads.

In fact, that's been encouraged lately.

But wait..............

Catholic Church hears about contraception having to be covered in insurance plans that they offer to employees. They don't like it. It doesn't follow what they believe in. They don't want any part of it.

Oh no, that's no acceptable. They can't do that. They are wrong. BARRY?!?!?!?!!?!?! Do something about it Mr. President.

"Ok, Eddy you were right" - minivin5
"Oddly enough, Eddy is right fairly often"- TimS

"Eddy is correct" - TomT

"Say what you will about Eh-ddy but he actually does know a few things." - The Commish

Is this a trick question? The analogy works of course, but we've already passed through the retreat process. The only ones still obsessing about it are conservatives because Obama already gave the speech saying the intent was not to hurt religion and backing off. So either you don't really care about all the public statements that this is resolved and have another agenda, or you don't really get that this was NEVER about contraception or religious freedom. Those hot buttons were pushed to get people to melt down about social issues and ignore the economy.

The Obama administration floated a set of rules for new plans under Obamacare six months ago in the Federal Register. With a week to go before the end of the comment period, the controversy went public and Obama very publicly retreated. Do you mean to tell me no one notice that for 5.9 months? Please, it was timed to be a "crisis" just like we take every budget deadline to the wire because rational give and take do not make the news. There remains some question as to what will happen to self-insured plans, but since religious groups with opposition to insurance [Amish, Christian Scientists, etc.] can opt out of the whole system, just as they do for social security, does it really seem likely this is more than election posturing on both sides? BO did ensnare Rush into mouthing off on contraception and alienating some of the people that might be on the fence, while unalienating anyone on the fence who thought the federal "mandates" would be inflexible. For middle-of-the-roaders, flexibility is not flip-floping but the sign of flexibility and their chosen kool-ade for choosing a candidate.

My personal theory is that it went public to trigger a convervative meltdown moment by candidates, boosting Catholic and religious right turnout for Michigan and keeping the Santorum-Romney circus going. That burns campaign dollars, pushes the candidates to more extreme statements to top each other, exhausts the participants, fosters ill-will in the party, and allows the increaingly hostile debate to write campaign ads for the Democrats, just as when GHWB in 1980 called RR's budget plan "voodoo economics."

"Maybe the Founders were wrong to guarantee free exercise of religion in the First Amendment, but they did."

Melinda Henneberger of the Washington Post

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

Occam's razor - It is a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

Explanation - Rush calls a woman a youknowwhat and people want to make it into something more than a vile attack. :)

"All The Worlds A Stooge"

Neither you nor I believe that the founders were wrong. Stupid things have been done by government before over the years (think about how Utah got statehood -- Mormons had to give up poligamy), but the courts and the public have been very protective of religion. At some point there are civil laws that religious institutions are obligated to follow. Churches have to have building inspections, kitchen inspections, and fire exits. This really does not look like a time when religion is losing out since moral principles will not have to be violated. The coverse, however, is that religious institutions should not take away the religious freedom of non-religious employees. A convent can certainly hire only nuns to run the place. They cannot insist that the janitor has to be Catholic. They can insist that the janitor or teacher in a Catholic school not violate Catholic principles publicly. So is giving an employee the option of buying insurance that covers what they want a violation of their employer's rights as long as the employer does not have to pay for it? Is it more like "the janitor does not have to be Catholic in private life" or "the janitor is not allowed to blog or tweet to students about his/her upcoming gay marriage"? I tend to think it is more like the former, since no one knows what insurance plan I buy, or what claims I file, as long as the Church does not have to offer or pay for the plan.

The problem is that Obamacare did not put enough responsibility on the individual to manage their own care. Just as the students at Georgetown pay for their own health insurance without Church subsidy, we ALL should probably pay for our own health care and buy our own insurance. The problem is, most of us don't have the means to shop for plans, and "group plans" are so much cheaper through organizations like an employer or school that we don't get much choice. In other words, we live in an imperfect market system, a product of insurance companies that benefit from pooled risk and therefore have little incentive to offer cafeteria plans of benefits. Obamacare kept existing plans, and therefore reaps the problems of the present status quo. Trying to fix market inefficiencies with government regulation is doomed from the start. THAT is what is wrong with Obamacare.

Is this a trick question? ....... because Obama already gave the speech saying the intent was not to hurt religion and backing off. So either you don't really care about all the public statements that this is resolved and have another agenda, or you don't really get that this was NEVER about contraception or religious freedom. .......

You didn't really just type that did you? Maybe you think the mandate was dropped entirely or maybe you think that someone else is really going to pay.

This is still about Federal government overreach and violation of the Constitution and will be until Obamacare is either repealed or found unconstitutional.

And appearantly, other sponsors are coming on board. I read the list of sponsors who had dropped him, there were a couple of biggies but most were smaller companies who were local or regional. As the dust settles, many of these will quietly come back. Too hard to pass up the advertising numbers game. And of course, the counter-attack about Mahar and the clown hosting the MSM dinner is already swinging into place.

Again, the same parrots who squaked so loud about Limbaugh said nothing....nothing about the people attacking Palin and Bachmann and their families. Remember all the nice things they said about Palin's prego daughter? The master hands out the crackers and the parrots squak in unison. Too funny.

Rush will be fine, have any of his stations dropped his show? thats the real question.

It's a valid question and so far the answer is no. But don't think that Media Matters isn't campaigning to make that happen. If one or two stations do drop the show Media Matters be all over that story and we'll see threads on it right through November. Of course it happens all the time for purely economic reasons. Every time a station goes dark on Rush another in the same market picks the show up.

I once bought an ad on local radio and was told I could pick the time slot and change my mind about that slot any time I wanted. I'll bet that Rushes' time slot is one of the more expensive for local advertisers.

It's a valid question and so far the answer is no. But don't think that Media Matters isn't campaigning to make that happen. If one or two stations do drop the show Media Matters be all over that story and we'll see threads on it right through November. Of course it happens all the time for purely economic reasons. Every time a station goes dark on Rush another in the same market picks the show up.

I once bought an ad on local radio and was told I could pick the time slot and change my mind about that slot any time I wanted. I'll bet that Rushes' time slot is one of the more expensive for local advertisers.

I do a lot of advertising. I believe two stations dropped him. Again, as the furor dies down, they or other stations in their broadcast area will pick him up. Simply too big to fail. DTOA, if you advertised on that kind of station (open time) it means it didn't have much reach and poor numbers. Go for the station where there is a waiting list to advertise...they are the hotties. ;) They also charge more for their time.

I do a lot of advertising. I believe two stations dropped him.

Rush Limbaugh: Over 40 Advertisers Flee, Host Says 'Everything’s Cool’

At last count, 42 advertisers, two radio stations and two musicians have closed the door on Limbaugh following incendiary comments he made last week about a Georgetown law student who testified before Congress in favor of having birth control covered under insurance plans.

Doesn't matter he says, he has over 1800 advertisers on his show. His show pulls in around $50 Mil a year, even if he lost half he's still making money.

“ABC News, who understands how this works and are purposely misrepresenting it, is out there ballyhooing that we have lost 28 sponsors,” Limbaugh said. “Twenty-eight sponsors out of 18,000! That’s like losing a couple of french fries in the container when it’s delivered to you at the drive-thru. You don’t even notice it.”

It seems his comments about his sponsors may lead to more defecting since he clearly sees them as less than french fries.

"All The Worlds A Stooge"

At last count, 42 advertisers, two radio stations and two musicians have closed the door on Limbaugh following incendiary comments he made last week about a Georgetown law student who testified before Congress in favor of having birth control covered under insurance plans.

Doesn't matter he says, he has over 1800 advertisers on his show. His show pulls in around $50 Mil a year, even if he lost half he's still making money.

“ABC News, who understands how this works and are purposely misrepresenting it, is out there ballyhooing that we have lost 28 sponsors,” Limbaugh said. “Twenty-eight sponsors out of 18,000! That’s like losing a couple of french fries in the container when it’s delivered to you at the drive-thru. You don’t even notice it.”

It seems his comments about his sponsors may lead to more defecting since he clearly sees them as less than french fries.

But it is true. His coverage is huge, 20 million per day. Nobody even comes close and as I said, some of those sponsors are locals or regionals so I would put away the champaign if I were you TJ. I will be listening to him quite a bit going forward. He is too valuable, too funny and too informative not too, IMO. And I believe that his numbers will probably go up over the next three or four months and he will replace the advertisers he has lost or they will, in the fullness of time, come back. One of the companies who pulled out reported saw a 50% DROP in their business. Not sure if it is related but I will scan those companies again and make sure I don't throw any $$$$ their way. Just saying.

Love him or hate him, ya gotta admit, the guy certainly is full of himself.