Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
longcaster

Massholes & Obama

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/03/its-an-obama-world-fishermen-given-500-taxpayer-funded-bribes-not-to-fish/

The latest great idea to come from the Obama Administration is to bribe fishermen with taxpayer dollars not to fish.

It’s OK. It’s not their money.

The Boston Globe reported:

Pat Judge, an avid sport fisherman, has been walking around with a $500 check in his pocket for a week, trying to decide whether to cash it.

That’s because the money comes with a catch: Judge must agree to turn in his $10 recreational saltwater fishing license for the year.

In an unusual experiment being conducted only in Massachusetts, the federal government is surveying anglers to figure out how much it would cost to persuade Judge and 1,899 others not to fish off the coast.

But officials say the purpose is not to actually reduce fishing. Instead, they say, the survey is intended to measure the worth of recreational saltwater fishing to the estimated 1.2 million residents and visitors who do it annually.

The results could be used in variety of ways, officials say, such as to calculate the potential loss to anglers if an oil spill or other environmental disaster halted recreational ocean fishing.

But after years of government restrictions on commercial fishermen, and more expected because of plummeting cod stocks, some recreational anglers wonder if officials are up to something more sinister: revoking their right to fish. The no-fishing offer, which ranges from $15 to $500, is raising hackles among those who consider it another government assault on New England’s fishing industry.

“I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I imagine if you were in tough economic straits you would take the money. It’s not enough for me,’’ said Judge, who lives in Groton and owns a Provincetown home. “It raises certain ethical questions on whether it’s right for the government to be spending money to keep you from doing your hobby.’’

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has allocated about $145,000 to conduct the survey over the next several months, with about $75,000 allotted for cash offers, said Scott Steinback, a NOAA economist who came up with the idea.

How many will sell out?

Couldn't find where it came from Obama. Got a federal source ? Righty propaganda, every site I saw. It's silly season ya know.

Perhaps if you had read the piece, you might have gotten to the last paragraph which states;

"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has allocated about $145,000 to conduct the survey over the next several months, with about $75,000 allotted for cash offers, said Scott Steinback, a NOAA economist who came up with the idea."

NOAA is part of Government, Obama is the CEO of our Government.

I'm sorry you struggled so mightily making the connection, I'll try and put up an easier one in the future. ;)

That would go a long way towards a new Stella...then I could just fish 'under the table'...LOL

Actually, there is no way I would accept that kind of offer. In reality, I've basically already conceded much more money than that in terms of what I invest into each fishing season...If I wanted to save a lot of money by not fishing, I would just stop fishing and my pockets would be lined with some amount much than $500

Couldn't find where it came from Obama. Got a federal source ? Righty propaganda, every site I saw. It's silly season ya know.

So where does the NOAA buck stop?

Data from this study could also be used to determine what the market will bear when selling licenses. That thought will occur to some politician down the road it it hasn't already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longcaster View Post

Perhaps if you had read the piece, you might have gotten to the last paragraph which states;

Why would you say that when the sentence is on page one of a three page article.Just can't pass up an insult even if you have to make it up.Cheezzz.You guys are something.

Why would you say that when the sentence was on page one of a three page article.You just can't pass up an insult even if you have to make it up.

The best part is that he's trying to prove a tie to Obama by quoting a sentence that states in no uncertain terms that it was "Scott Steinback, a NOAA economist who came up with the idea".

The best part is that he's trying to prove a tie to Obama by quoting a sentence that states in no uncertain terms that it was "Scott Steinback, a NOAA economist who came up with the idea".

No one is accusing Obama of having an imagination. Only saying that he sets the agenda nationally and his desk is where the buck stops.

Why would you say that when the sentence is on page one of a three page article.Just can't pass up an insult even if you have to make it up.Cheezzz.You guys are something.

My link is just a few paragraphs, without all the added comments, maybe you aught to look at it. ;)

Quote:

My link is just a few paragraphs, without all the added comments, maybe you aught to look at it. wink.gif

I would love to see it.Could you post it.I will gladly apologize if I misspoke.This  is mine............http://articles./2012-03-02/business/31114730_1_recreational-saltwater-fishing-fishing-industry-anglers

Quote:

If it is not too difficult for you, see post #1. Scroll up.

You are absolutely right and I apologize for jumping on you.I had already seen the article I posted and assumed it was the same one.I was wrong.Getting touchy apparently.Sorry.