Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mingao

New surf casting outfit, whaddya think?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I've been fishing a while now, most of my experience on sport boats out of San Diego casting surface irons to yellowtail and barracuda, but I have entered the surf arena. I picked up a Daiwa Sealine surf rod (SLS1102HFB) and an Daiwa Sealine X-30HA/SHA as my introductory surf gear.

I consider myself a fairly decent to good caster as I have always preferred lures to using live bait and have never really had any problems chucking a lure with my Calstar 90J and Saltist 30T, but this new rod has me perplexed and back-lashing like first timer. The longer butt section has really thrown me off. On my Calstar, I have my reel sitting about 14" from the end of my rod, but that isn't the case with the Daiwa rod. So foreign to me... any suggestions to improve casting distance and accuracy?

open the left side of the reel, make sure that there are two brake blocks on the little spindles. if there are, try cleaning the bearings and adding a drop of 3in1 blue(available at any hardware store) to each bearing. If you are still backlashing consistently, try using the spool brake(knob under the crank handle).. Good luck with it and I'm sure you will be okay, the Sloshes are amongst the nicest casters available,

I should have rephrased my question. It's not exactly the reel, its more the rod I'm having trouble with. When I go to make a cast on my 90J, I place my left hand under the reel and use my thumb to hold the spool and put my right hand on the rod butt and do a basic overhand cast loading up the rod before letting the spool go. Now that the there is so much butt section on the surf rod, my arms are spread further apart I find it difficult to to make a decent, accurate cast like I was used to with my 90J.

Try the easy cast, that's the one I use and it's a pretty simple cast. On the video he's using a spinning outfit but the technique is the same with a conventional

Another similar one

Marc..

I 1st would do what Stewie said. A Rod with a 14" butt sounds more like an inshore or a freshwater rod to me. That reel is a good reel but I also have found it to be a little fast on the spool.

What type of line are you using? Braid,Mono?

Check the brakes, tighten up the spool tenstion knob & get out the & get use to the new feel of the rod. If you say you consider yourself a good caster you should have no problem.... Remember all reels are not the same & some need more time to develop its ability. Good Luck..........Ron

You could tape a plate seat on down low. Or get used to spreading your hands out as its more of a power lob than the whip of a spinner. Less is more conventional casting. Cast smooooth and easy with no hitches in the stroke. Throw the first one 20 yrds, next one 40 yrds,.....

I'm not familiar with the Daiwa numbers but it looks like an eleven footer. i would expect the butt to be between 24 and 26 inches from the center of the spool for plugging and up to 30 inches for a heavy chunking rod.

That's my bait soaking rod for rays and sharks while fishing in the surf. I think I need some tape for my thumb to keep the spool from moving until I need it to and I think I'm going to cut off a little off of the butt section to make it more like Calstar 90J.